Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Hudson River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Hudson River The mighty Hudson River reports information and Discussion

Old 05-02-2012, 04:51 PM
Official Member

Default small boat capsized

reports of a small boat capsized in Newburgh. Everyone pulled to shore safely. Glad every one is ok. Hopefully it wasnt anyone from here
Old 05-02-2012, 09:49 PM
Official Member

Default Re: small boat capsized

A lot of years ago on the Rondout creek at Kingston, there were 4 (200#ers) guys in a 12' Jon boat coming out to the river. The creek was fairly calm while the river was running 6" to 10" chop. The jon boat had about 2" of free board. We were just coming into the creek trolling. I had my buddy clear lines while I prepared for the worst. Just like a Charlie Chaplin silent movie, the Jon Boat hit the river and and started taking on water like a Submarine going down. Not one guy in the boat had a PFD. If we hadn't been there someone surely would have perished as there is one hell of a Rip at the end of the jetty when the tide is running. Needless to say, a lot of tackle went to the bottom along with their rods.