Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Hudson River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Hudson River The mighty Hudson River reports information and Discussion

Old 05-01-2012, 09:33 AM
Your Mom's A Striper

Default Rant and raves

Out of all the years I have been striper fishing, This year I have seen some people do some stupid shyt... From shore and from boat. Common courtesy among people fishing is blown out of the water when it comes to people so hungry for a striper or even a herring. Lots of us on Striper247 go by these unwritten rules that have been pasted down from generation to generation but there are others that don't give a f@*k about anyone but themselves. Is this human instinct, straight stupidity or even deliberate? (People throwing rocks, boats trying to ram other boat, swarming, fistfights, arguments). I have seen it all so I created this thread for us to share stories of others wrong doings so maybe lurkers or who ever reads this will get a f@*king clue about common courtesy or even safety when fishing...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2012, 09:53 AM
Veteran Elite

Default Re: Rant and raves

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st n last on water View Post
Out of all the years I have been striper fishing, This year I have seen some people do some stupid shyt... From shore and from boat. Common courtesy among people fishing is blown out of the water when it comes to people so hungry for a striper or even a herring. Lots of us on Striper247 go by these unwritten rules that have been pasted down from generation to generation but there are others that don't give a f@*k about anyone but themselves. Is this human instinct, straight stupidity or even deliberate? (People throwing rocks, boats trying to ram other boat, swarming, fistfights, arguments). I have seen it all so I created this thread for us to share stories of others wrong doings so maybe lurkers or who ever reads this will get a f@*king clue about common courtesy or even safety when fishing...
you won't help em () much until you tell them what they did

i'll start with a couple

NO WAKE ZONES ...... mean no wakes should be created ..... going at a fast idle or slightly higher actually creates the biggest possible wake your boat can make ..... a good stretch of the water below the troy dam down to the route 2 bridge is a no wake zone ..... Wake UP!

STAY AWAY FROM BOATS FISHING if at all possible ....... when you are traveling on the river and there is one boat anchored do them the courtesy of traveling up the opposite side of the river ..... don't putt by 25 or 50 feet away

DONT ANCHOR WITHIN A COUPLE HUNDRED FEET of another boat ..... it's a big river . ... the fish swim around .... leave the other guy enough room to land the fish of a lifetime without having to deal with some jerk who anchored on top of him

Then of course this morning the rowboat that accompanies the rowers drove by me 15 frigging feet away ..... plenty close to hear what i had to say

Great topic.... keep em coming
Old 05-01-2012, 10:01 AM
Winning !
Pro Staff

Knock on wood i haven't seen any of the major issues you talk about. No fighting or anything, that's so f'ed up. The biggest issue i still see (year after year) is the lack of common courtesy at the loading ramps. People working on boat half on the ramp, not having anything ready or loaded (do all that in lot before you are ready to dump in) it's THAT EASY .... or just parking and leaving truck/trailer in the way. Really ??? Come on man !!!

In fact when the launch is busy, i find easier to help the person in front or behind you when at the ramp. Weather it's grabbing a rope for them or directing them down the ramp. It's takes just a few seconds and makes it easier on everybody else.

I have to say most of everybody we see on the water are pretty nice and respectful, But we also know 50% of them when we are on the water. So we all kind of help each other.

In the end it's just fishing guys, it's supposed to relaxing and fun, Right !?!?!!! That's why i do it anyway.

My 2-cents
Old 05-01-2012, 10:25 AM
Young salt

Great idea for a thread man. It amazes me the lengths people will go to to land a fish, be it a schoolie or a lunker or, as you said, flippin baitfish. I'm out to have a good time when I go fishing, whether I'm catching or not, and there have been many instances like the ones you speak of that can ruin an outing.

1) I fish primarily from shore and, more specifically the beach, roughly 90% of the time. I don't have the luxury of being able to move too far either direction, and even if I could, it wouldn't solve a damn thing. I fish in the spot I fish in because it's right in front of my buddy's house, and because we seem to have pretty good success there. I can't tell ya how many times over the past few years I'll be down that beach early in the morning, sometimes circa 4:00 a.m. I'll oftentimes see boats working the flats in front of the Pier/surrounding, WELL out of my casting distance and plenty far enough away that we both have ample room to fish. Next thing ya know I'll get into A fish or a school of fish, land it, re-bait and by the time I turn around, BAM, friggen boat is anchored right in front of me. I find THIS a good opportunity to throw on the heaviest weight I got in my tackle bag and launch it in his/her's general direction (trying NOT to actually hit them but get it close enough so they catch my drift). Sometimes they get the hint and leave, other times it's lead to a swapping of 4 letters word but ALL of the time it's as simple as an act of blatant disregard and disrespect IMHO.

2) The second issue I have is very similar, though it's not competing with other fisherman but rather a group of surfers. If I show up down that beach, no matter WHAT time day or night, and there is a group of surfers in the water, I make it a point to move down plenty far enough so I'm not interfering with them. They, in turn, will think NOTHING of showing up and just starting to surf directly in front of me, crashing into my line, falling off their boards and basically just being dickheads. I didn't do a lot of a.m. fishing last year, but I'll run into them both early and late in the season before the beach gets littered with tourists on those late afternoon/early evening tides. They too are not very responsive to 3, 4 and 5 oz pyramid sinkers whizzing by their general direction.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:54 AM
First Mate

This one boggles the mind...

Myself and 3 others were fishing from shore on the creek and a scap boat comes along and anchors 10 feet offshore right in front of us! Lays out like 30 feet of anchor line and stays there for 3 hours! Wouldn't move and there was no place else for us to go. We asked hime to move but he literally ignored us and pretended we weren't there.

THEN>>>After 3 hours he tried to pull up his anchor but it was stuck. Instead of cutting his line he tied a PFD to all 30' of anchor line and let it drift while he left, again rendering the whole shoreline unfishable!! saying he was going to be back to retrieve it!!! Needless to say as soon as he left we fished out the line and lets just say he's not going to be able to find that anchor anymore! (or his pfd).
Outragous? He has the whole creek??? I thought it was some sort of practical joke or something but this guy was just a total loser.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:24 AM
Total Newbie

I dont see any of this in the albany area when I launch my boat or down the hudson to the federal dam, I'm glad too. I'm a total newbie and dont anchor near others or get close to others, I do talk alot at the launch and being the fact i launch alone at times I have to leave my truck/trailer there for maybe 5 mins while i get my boat tied off to the docking area for me to run up and get my truck the hell out the way, I load off site before gettin to the lauch to save room n troubles... I do get the going slow and creating major wake vs going fast and creating near none... I dunno, glad I dont see fist fights or 4 letters words coming my way, I do see head nods, people waving, people asking how the fishing is for me, I ask the same back, etc... Its just fishing and SOME people take it WAY to SERIOUS....

YIKES!!!!

-Keith
( a total )
Old 05-01-2012, 11:33 AM
Striper Hunter

I cant agree more with all of you. It really sucks when after fishing for hours with no one screwing up your spot that you get into one and bam ya got 5 other boats swarm you within 30 sec? What is up with that? Fished Sunday! Got out at 6am,could not land anything but cats.At about 9am finally land (1) one hearing. Within 2 minuts I had three boats that were way away from me see me land the hearing and bingo they are now 100ft away(ya I'm talking about the patoon with five guys on it). So after a half hour and casting across there bow they move on.10am I get into one(striper)First of the season.Get into the boat and start taking pics look up and now have 8 other boats within throwing distance???Any how, I move way up river fish a few hours more with nothing. At 2:30 (no boats or peaple around me ) start landing hearing and bam here they come.Not to bad though far enough away but still?3pm I get into a good one boats going by no prob till after I get it in the boat and look in front of us and there they are two boats 150ft in front of me drifting towered us ( we were anchored). They leave not long after but one did manage to hook into my anchor. 3:30 rolls around and we get into another fish. We get it into the boat and look over to shore and the three guy that were fishing 300 ft down were now casting 50 ft from the boat? That was enough for me called it a day and left. As far as getting boat in and out of the water. Cmon guys strap it down after getting out of the way so others can get in or out... Tight Lines
Old 05-01-2012, 12:59 PM
Official Member

I fish from shore 99.9% of the time and purposely fish unpopulated areas for those reasons so I don't go through as much as the rest of u thank god. But the yakers definitely annoy the shit out of me. They see u there but they don't care...they go splashing right o top of ur bait. The kicker is that 15 minutes later they do it again. Also I've had like 20' boats catch my line drifting by. YOU HAVE THE WHOLE HUDSON & U SANG MY LINE. It has happened a few times in the same spot. It's amazing how many people lack common courtesy and common sense.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:46 PM
2014 stripers caught - 0

i fish from cornwall shore....usually get the dumb kayakers who go over our lines. Or the boaters who drift over our lines...wake up people!
Old 05-01-2012, 04:41 PM
Not a 60lb test Bucket Brigade Fisherman

Benny's, Googan's, Spot Jumpers, etc..

Fish a location near Bear mountain, stuck a 24 incher and C&R'd it, looked up, Pablo and the Bucket Brigade were launching their 8 ounce sinkers, 80lb test and freshwater number 8 hooks in my general locale..Mind you, I was at least 25 yards from the nearest person..

*on a side note, I heard somebody was stabbed over a blood worm in the Haverstraw area.....I thought I heard it all..
Old 05-01-2012, 05:01 PM
First Mate

My beef is with the damn boaters. I fish from shore and it never fails that everyday I fish some asshole will insist on blowing by us on the shore at about 40mph, less than a hundred yards from the bank! WTF?? They have the whole river but have to drive close to the shore? Retards! I know that if I had a three ounce sinker with no hook I could easily hit them, but what would that do? Cause them to come ashore and get in a fist fight? Or maybe they'd puss-out and call the cops. I wouldn't mind so much if they slowed down when they saw me, but when you look at me and wave as you're going by it really pisses me off!!
Old 05-01-2012, 05:18 PM
Striper Hunter

Some shore fisherman have to calm down too. One time I pulled up near the poestenkill to get herring. Its the only place herring were biting due to water clarity. I was a ways out from the mouth of the river and I came in very slowly. Wee dropped our jigs over the side and some jerk on shore starts casting a 4 oz weight at us. He couldn't reach us cause we were out a respectable distance. I almost took my 12 foot surf casting rod with 100lb braid and a rapalla and cast it over all his lines and then take off in the boat stripping all their line out. No one owns anything. Were all visitors. Let's all respect each other.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:26 PM
Your Mom's A Striper

Quote:
Originally Posted by biglurr54 View Post
were all visitors. Let's all respect each other.
amen to that
Old 05-01-2012, 06:59 PM
Official Member

Ya know guys, the Striper and Herring runs are for them to spawn. New York State DEC has the idea that all spawning species should be protected during their respective spawning cycles. The Hudson River is one of the the two major spawning grounds on the East Coast. The other is Chesapeake Bay and the Tribs that feed it. There are other areas that hold spawning Stripers, but none as large as the major two.

The Striper stocks are being decimated by the commercial fishermen. The Herring and Menhaden have the same problems.

You guys should feel real lucky that both the Stripers and the Herring fishing hasn't been shut down. It almost happened this year for Herring. But because there is such an economic impact attached to doing that, they held off.

You guys are what make this fishery what it is. Your attitudes and manners on the water and your $$, is what will make it continue. Wake up folks, you could see it all go the way of the Shad in your life time.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:12 PM
First Mate

I'd be all for ending commercial herring and striper fishing at the mouth of the river which is the real problem and let us anglers enjoy the run. I'd bet that most of us catch and release.