Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Maine
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Maine Maine Striper Fishing discussion & reports

Old 04-28-2012, 06:21 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Saco River Water Temp

The water is getting warmer! That's very good news as any day now we should start seeing signs of Shad in the river. The water was 50 degrees today at 2pm(high tide at 5pm) on the float at Camp Ellis. Just 2 weeks ago it was 47 before the rain. Heard that people were catching Atlantics on their Sabaki Rigs but didn't see any of that. Getting restless! It can't be long they are already catching Stripers at Plum Island Sound!
Old 04-30-2012, 02:34 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Default Re: Saco River Water Temp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Bay View Post
The water is getting warmer! That's very good news as any day now we should start seeing signs of Shad in the river. The water was 50 degrees today at 2pm(high tide at 5pm) on the float at Camp Ellis. Just 2 weeks ago it was 47 before the rain. Heard that people were catching Atlantics on their Sabaki Rigs but didn't see any of that. Getting restless! It can't be long they are already catching Stripers at Plum Island Sound!
half tide last Thursday, water temp in the Merrimack was 54... we've been catching fish for two weeks now..
Old 05-01-2012, 08:42 AM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roccus View Post
half tide last Thursday, water temp in the Merrimack was 54... we've been catching fish for two weeks now..
That's great! Hopefully they'll hop on 95 and get here soon. I was exspecting to start catching fish once the temp hit 50 degrees as thats been the "trigger" point here in the past but then again the "calendar" is about 4 weeks early for that temp in this area. I believe thats why they aren't here yet. Thanks for the info!
Old 05-01-2012, 09:06 AM
Young salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Bay View Post
That's great! Hopefully they'll hop on 95 and get here soon. I was exspecting to start catching fish once the temp hit 50 degrees as thats been the "trigger" point here in the past but then again the "calendar" is about 4 weeks early for that temp in this area. I believe thats why they aren't here yet. Thanks for the info!

I'm right there with ya Salty, but I have a feeling the first wave of fish will be here within the next week or so (maybe sooner). Call in intuition, call it a hunch, but it's getting pretty damn close. Two years ago I caught my first fish of the year (off the beach) on my daughter's birthday (May 25th). Last year my first fish off the beach didn't come until June 2nd. They usually show up in the rivers around the 2nd week of May, but could very well be early this year with the warmer water temps. I think the water temp has to hold at/around a steady 50 degrees before we start seeing any numbers. I was out the other day tossing a few plugs, didn't see any action in the way of baitfish, but it was good just to get out. I'll keep ya posted and let ya know when I see the first signs of life. . . . .
Old 05-01-2012, 09:34 AM
Striper Hunter

I agree Hyper! I think this weekend we might get some schoolies either off the pier or up at the dam. Either way I'll be sure to scope it out and let you know as well. FYI: I've been watching the ocean side off the jetty for schools of baitfish but there has been nothing there as of yet. I haven't check the temp on the ocean side either but the buoy's are reading like 46-48 from what I'm told.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:13 AM
Official Member

Morning folks. Just wanted to say HI...recently moved to the Saco area from Portland. Looking forward to hitting the beach for some of our striped friends...hopefully see you down there.
Old 05-14-2012, 12:47 AM
Official Member

hey folks, was in saco today for the outgoing, shad and herring were everywhere! stripers are definatly here, saw one guy pull up a schoolie, stacks of bait fish!!! heres to the tight lines!!!