Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Plugs and Plug Building
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Plugs and Plug Building This is our lure and plug building forum.

Old 04-25-2012, 07:30 PM
Official Member

Default Sealing Techniques?

So just back from a trip to the Jersey shore, wish I had pix of cows, but I don't. Guess you gotta take the good with the bad. Took my latest batch of topwater pencils and bottles with mixed results. Seems to be my biggest issue is sealing, had a few that were clearly taking on water as the epoxy topcoat fractured or all together cracked. I'm looking for different sealing techniques as mine clearly aren't working. The failures were all sealed with shellac, primed, painted and topcoated. I've heard suggestions of urethanes, wondering if they're referring to polyurethane? Also heard that you need to thin, as much as 50%, to allow penetration? Anyone try marine finishes for wood on boats? I'd like to hear any other options for sealing as well. Thanks for any advice.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:13 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Default Re: Sealing Techniques?

Your sealing results are predictable.. I believe in one of your other posts, i recomended that shelac was not your best option as a sealer... but, I like that you tried something on your own.. failure is the best teacher..

the tried and tru, old way to sealing is with boiled linseed oil, cut 60/40 with mineral spirits, it's drawback, it is slow drying, and can bleed into the finish with time, also rags used to wipe or clean up must be soaked in water to prevent spontanous combustion...

New technology, has guy's that build small quantities of plugs sealing with heated 2 part epoxy, warm the plugs in a toaster oven and slather the inside and outside of the plug with warm epoxy.. let it drip dry..

for most a mixture of oil based polyurethain thinned with about 20% mineral spirits does a good job sealing plugs...

I use a proprietary mixture of Polyurethain, mineral spirits and tung oil... the the plugs are soaked in the mixture for 30 minutes, allowed to drip for about 10 minutes and then wiped clean on the outside... they are cured for priming in about 3 days in a 65 degree room..

here is a few pictures of my set up...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Loaded rack.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	15944   Click image for larger version

Name:	dip frame and tubes.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	15945   Click image for larger version

Name:	dripping plugs.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	15946   Click image for larger version

Name:	plug drying rack.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	15947  
Old 04-26-2012, 07:10 PM
Official Member

Roc, as always, great advice. I did heed your warning about the shellac, the ones that failed had been sealed and painted prior to the post. I'll try the poly and post the results. Thanks again.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:45 PM
Striper Hunter

I've used the Linseed oil/spirits mix with sucess but the wait is killing me...I'm going to try the poly/spirits mix... thanks!!!
Old 12-30-2012, 07:24 PM
Official Member

I've used a mixture of Val-Oil, polyurethane, and mineral spirits with great success but find that over time it can bleed a bit into the finish. I've been using wood hardener for the last year or so with excellent results, no bleeding, and minimal soaking time. I always let my plugs dry for a week after sealing just to be safe....I'm in no real hurry anyway.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:32 PM
Striper Hunter

Waterlox marine for me has been awesome! Expensive but worth it, it has tung oil at its base but other good stuff in it as well.