Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Reels and Reel Maintenance
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Reels and Reel Maintenance Reel Maintenance and schematics - Discussion on spinning and conventional fishing reels - teardowns and hard to find parts

Old 04-25-2012, 08:46 PM
Official Member

Smile Squidder upgrade questions

Has anyone hot rodded a squidder and if so what mods did you install looking for advise i have the conventional bug and like the old squidder.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:37 PM
Old Salt
Team Leader
Pro Staff

Default Re: Squidder upgrade questions

You can mag a squidder providing your spool is aluminum/metal and not plastic. The way to find out is to take the sideplate off and scratch an area not visible to the naked eye. I have pics of this here somewhere.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:27 PM
Duke of Fluke

I love Squidders - they are tough, work great and are easy service. I have modded a few here is a 146 with Tiburon frame and jumbo handle and a Penn aluminum spool

This is a 140 with Tib frame and Newell spool.

Also have several more 140's and another 146 - which is my favorite chunking/clamming reel.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:17 PM
Official Member

Thumbs up Re: Squidder upgrade questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimno1 View Post
You can mag a squidder providing your spool is aluminum/metal and not plastic. The way to find out is to take the sideplate off and scratch an area not visible to the naked eye. I have pics of this here somewhere.
Ok I have two 145 squidders with Tiburon frames and aluminum spools. I also put on a set of power handles. I do not understand how the Mag brake system works but it seems like a good way to control the spool speed. Can you educate a newbi on the brake system the pictures I have seen all show magnets glued to the side plates but nothing on the spool if aluminum is non magnetic how does this work or am I missing something? Do you have a source for the magnets that you like? Thanks for any advise.
Old 06-15-2013, 09:42 AM
Official Member

I don't know if it's ok to post here but...... Have you tried Alan Tani's site. Has a boat load of info on reel maintenance.