Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Saltwater Tackle Shop
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Saltwater Tackle Shop Product testing. Terminal tackle and gear forum. This forum is here to help the new and experienced angler in making good decision's when purchasing new gear. Talk about rods, reels, lures etc. here. List tackle or gear that you have experience with so that we may encourage others to try. Index of tackle dealers.

Old 04-22-2012, 07:18 PM
Striper Hunter

Default braid or mono

Which is better? And does hi visible line deter fish?

I'm going to be using a baitcasting reel.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:20 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: braid or mono

Well Braid is stronger and it does'nt stretch, but it does fray and lose it's color after a while....mono takes on water and weakens after awhile.....I'm told if i'm going to use braid to put a buffer of mono or so on the spool when loading it up with braid, cause braid slips and you'll need something to keep it from slipping...also when useing braid alot of guys are useing their favorite string with a swivel for their leaders...cause braid shows up in the water...now this is what i'm told....also you don't have to fight the fish so hard with braided line, it does'nt stretch so you can keep steady pressure when fighting fish...Uglystik52
Old 04-22-2012, 11:13 PM
Striper Hunter

I go braid on my poles. I use mono for backing. I uses a leader off a swivel based on whay i am fishing for. When I feel the braid has seen enough time I flip it around and use the line on reel that hasn't seen water.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:20 PM
Striper Hunter

Do they make braid in hi-viz? Sorry for all the questions! Also if I use mono is it that bad of a line or does it break really easy cause I'm fresh home from the marines and I'm a little rusty with the baitcasteri heard mono is easier to cast?
Old 04-25-2012, 12:26 PM
Veteran Striper Chaser

Casey Start out with mono. About 25lb test for a start and keep the line down at least 1/4"from the top of the spool flanges. Take your time casting . Start your cast like a big truck starting out from a trafic light. Slow and then build up speed. Good luck
Old 04-25-2012, 06:17 PM
Striper Hunter

Thank you for the tip!