Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic.
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic. Saltwater and freshwater surfcasting. Plugging, Bait dunking and boating


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 04-23-2012, 10:39 AM
yak4fish yak4fish is offline
Striper Hunter
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 16
Default saving storing worms

kinda of dumb question but what is best way to store worms for future use. I got some sandworms left over from the weekend. I tried keeping bloods from before in viplock bag but think i suffocated them? do i just through them in the fridge. what about for bloodworms? is there a separate box or container to use? what about the "sea weed" they come in. the box got soaked so need new spot. also kinda want better spot. the wet box with these nasty creature and any food wont mix well if discovered by girl.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-23-2012, 12:07 PM
StriperHyper's Avatar
StriperHyper StriperHyper is offline
Young salt
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: OOB, ME
Posts: 1,356
Default Re: saving storing worms

I use a cylindrical, styrafoam container w/ a lil newspaper on the bottom for my sand/blood worms and store them in my fridge. The styrafoam keeps them insulated yet plenty cool enough to keep from dying. MUCH better than those cheapy cardboard, french fry boxes they usually come in IMHO. The guy at Chevy's Bait and Tackle has a 24 hour machine and the worms are dispensed in these containers after hours. I think he said if ya return the containers ya get .50 cents back but to me, they're well worth the extra dough (I stockpile those things like they're gold). Hope this helps man, good luck out there this season!!!!
__________________
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles" - Doug Larson
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-24-2012, 11:45 AM
yak4fish yak4fish is offline
Striper Hunter
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 16
Default Re: saving storing worms

Do they need to breathe? Will they die if in sealed plastic container?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-24-2012, 01:01 PM
StriperHyper's Avatar
StriperHyper StriperHyper is offline
Young salt
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: OOB, ME
Posts: 1,356
Default Re: saving storing worms

Quote:
Originally Posted by yak4fish View Post
Do they need to breathe? Will they die if in sealed plastic container?
I have used them after having them in my fridge upwards of a week and while they're not nearly as lively, they are still very much alive. Change the newspaper out every day/every other day and make sure ya throw out any partial pieces or dead worms. I wanna say u can throw a little seaweed in with them as well but not sure if this is a necessity. Don't put more than a dozen in a container if you can help it. I think I had some last year for 6-7 days that I assumed were dead (meaning no changing of newspaper or seaweed or anything) but much to my surprise, they were still kickin when I checked
__________________
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles" - Doug Larson
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-30-2012, 12:57 PM
Roccus's Avatar
Roccus Roccus is offline
King of Eels
Pro Staff
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Reading, Mass/Rings Island
Posts: 4,182
Default Re: saving storing worms

a small cooler lined with burlap that has been dampened with sea water will keep them alive and happy for days, cover them with damp sea weed as well... keep the worms from balling up and remove any dead ones... as they will quickly kill the rest.
As Will stated.. news paper also works well.. i dry mine after digging on news paper, then once they have "hardend off" I'l transfer them to the cooler..
__________________
.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-30-2012, 01:18 PM
StriperHyper's Avatar
StriperHyper StriperHyper is offline
Young salt
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: OOB, ME
Posts: 1,356
Default Re: saving storing worms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roccus View Post
As Will stated.. news paper also works well.. i dry mine after digging on news paper, then once they have "hardend off" I'l transfer them to the cooler..
I wish I'd learned this lesson last year. I started digging my own and have found a place, on the geological low tide, that I can get several dozen in a short amount of time. One night I probably had upwards of 8 or 9 dozen (all big bastards too) in a bucket that I was gonna split with my fishing buddy. Brought 'em home, dumped 'em out on paper towels and split them up between several styrafoam containers lined with newspaper. I don't think we fished that night but the next night we went out and wouldn't ya know it, almost EVERY freakin one of them had gone to the big soil patch in the sky. The price of worms (and bait in genral) is going up here so I'll be digging my own this season and I definitely need to care for them better before storing them. Something told me those worms looked "too wet" when I dug them but I dunno, I guess I thought they'd dry off after sitting in the fridge over night....I was wrong!!!!
__________________
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles" - Doug Larson
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-30-2012, 02:31 PM
Roccus's Avatar
Roccus Roccus is offline
King of Eels
Pro Staff
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Reading, Mass/Rings Island
Posts: 4,182
Default Re: saving storing worms

Quote:
Originally Posted by StriperHyper View Post
I wish I'd learned this lesson last year. I started digging my own and have found a place, on the geological low tide, that I can get several dozen in a short amount of time. One night I probably had upwards of 8 or 9 dozen (all big bastards too) in a bucket that I was gonna split with my fishing buddy. Brought 'em home, dumped 'em out on paper towels and split them up between several styrafoam containers lined with newspaper. I don't think we fished that night but the next night we went out and wouldn't ya know it, almost EVERY freakin one of them had gone to the big soil patch in the sky. The price of worms (and bait in genral) is going up here so I'll be digging my own this season and I definitely need to care for them better before storing them. Something told me those worms looked "too wet" when I dug them but I dunno, I guess I thought they'd dry off after sitting in the fridge over night....I was wrong!!!!
as my old pappy used to say.. it's not too late to learn until they put the first shovel full "o" dirt over yer noggin!.

I've posted that rick several times.. I couldn't veture a guess where to search tho..
__________________
.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
saving, storing, worms

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2012 Big "D" spring fishing reports(post here) mu fish Delaware River 375 05-17-2013 02:53 PM
Brinkmans Philadelphia and Eastern Pa. area Fishing report CaptainMorgan! Delaware River 66 03-25-2011 06:51 PM
Keeping sea worms Roccus The Striper Forum 8 03-14-2011 05:40 PM
Blood Worms GoMets Hudson River 23 05-16-2008 06:34 PM
Blood Worms Vs. Sand Worms... are they the same ?? lol Cuz N' Eddy The Striper Forum 6 04-04-2005 11:02 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2004 - 2013 Stripers247.com LLC
Affiliated Sites:   Noreast.com   Allcoast.com    2coolfishing.com
© 2011 Noreast Media, LLC | Terms of Service | Contact Us | Advertise