Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Hudson River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Hudson River The mighty Hudson River reports information and Discussion

Old 04-12-2012, 12:06 PM
Striper Hunter

Default yak help NOOB

Hi all, never fished the river at all. I have fished stripers out of the Yak in sound many times and do pretty well trolling tube'n worm. I have a hobie and have been in river many times but not fishing. Looking for someone to give me pointers of where ( dont need honey holes) but of 3 areas ive boated any opinions?. I'm 15 minutes from coldspring, 30/45 from croton or newburgh. I'm definitely going out this weekend. any advice would be helpful. would also love to meet anyone feel free to p.m.? been reading for days and learned alot here but still a little intimidated being a virgin. thanks all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2012, 04:15 PM
Official Member

Default Re: yak help NOOB

Croton Bay early on, then on to Newburgh and Kingston. Small jerkbaits/plastics for Croton or sndworms or bloods.

Newburgh I usually drift bloods or sandworms

Kingston you can use all of the above or try to get some herring on Sabiki rigs and liveline them. If you are gonna chunk use an anchor, but of course you don't want to be too deep anchoring with a kayak between the currents, and other boats.

I have caught a few on tube n worm in the river but it seems to work much better in the sound, even though I use that method 90% of the time in the salt. Haven't really spent enough time in the river trying it. I do well with the other methods mentioned above.

Plum Point in New Windsor is a good place to launch into Newburgh Bay.

Used to live in Cold Spring and fish quite a bit when I did, fish don't seem to spend much time in that area it seems.

don't forget the water temperatures are still very dangerous yet, so make sure you have dry suit/wet suit or drytop and waders with belt.

Right now seems like a few fish being caught up and down the river in all different places. Just gotta be in it to win it.

Good Luck
Old 04-12-2012, 06:39 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoguy View Post
Croton Bay early on, then on to Newburgh and Kingston. Small jerkbaits/plastics for Croton or sndworms or bloods.

Newburgh I usually drift bloods or sandworms

Kingston you can use all of the above or try to get some herring on Sabiki rigs and liveline them. If you are gonna chunk use an anchor, but of course you don't want to be too deep anchoring with a kayak between the currents, and other boats.

I have caught a few on tube n worm in the river but it seems to work much better in the sound, even though I use that method 90% of the time in the salt. Haven't really spent enough time in the river trying it. I do well with the other methods mentioned above.

Plum Point in New Windsor is a good place to launch into Newburgh Bay.

Used to live in Cold Spring and fish quite a bit when I did, fish don't seem to spend much time in that area it seems.

don't forget the water temperatures are still very dangerous yet, so make sure you have dry suit/wet suit or drytop and waders with belt.

Right now seems like a few fish being caught up and down the river in all different places. Just gotta be in it to win it.

Good Luck
I'm going to be fishing croton bay a lot this year, is there any reason why you don't use chunk or live there? I was planning on trying to get lives there with a sabiki but I wasn't sure if herring were this far south?
Old 04-12-2012, 10:02 PM
Official Member

Another hobie here Ill shoot you a PM i might go out for stripers this weekend, But to be honest the largemouth fishing right now has been close to epic
Old 04-13-2012, 10:13 AM
Striper Hunter

thanks all. deffinetly going out early sat. also sunday either am and/or pm. Can anyone recommend any baitshops in the area? saw a post about one up by wappingers lake. the lake house? leaning towards Mr.duce idea for the large mouth bass option. especially if "epic".