Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers on the Fly
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Stripers on the Fly Discuss fly fishing for Striped Bass here. Fly tying, tips, tricks, reports, etc. Everything fly!

Old 04-10-2012, 11:53 PM
Official Member

Default Re: Strong hooks?

Zim.. I have a lot of Mustad 34011 in size #4...But due to the breaking in vise & a friend losing a few biggies last year ,Iv'e decided to use those only for trout flies...I just thought I'd kick it around the forum to see what others think? Think that in the final tests that the Gamagatzo L11-3H hooks are strongest & for my one flies will work out fine...And the hundreds that I give away, I'll use the Eagle claw L1197N Reason I mentioned the gold hooks is only for Shad flies...I think its a nice finish for shad.. Another hook we started using is the Mustad 32786BLN...Its a heavy 60 degree jig hook....And much sharper than the Eagle Claw 413 jig hook thats been used for years on Clousers We originally used them in bucktail jigs...They're a few bucks more than the #413s, but theres no comparison in Quality..Plus the BLN stands for Black Nickel...Which I like better ..Maybe we all learn a little bit more about hook strength , until the new hooks come out on the market...Then it starts all over again....Jim