Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > View From The Beach
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

View From The Beach Renowned surf angler, Rich Troxler, shares his thoughts, tactics, tips and tricks for surf casting success!

Old 07-19-2011, 09:37 PM
Official Member

Excellent stuff as usual Rich. Good to see you over here.

NY Chapter President
Old 07-21-2011, 01:35 PM
Official Member

Default Re: Fishing with braid, a primer for the uninitiated,.

I've always used 30lb powerpro cause it seemed to be enough on my surf reels and always used backing. I've just ordered a Penn Slammer 560 for surf fishing in NJ and it claims the reel is "Braid Ready". I guess it has a non-slip grip for line, and can be tied direct. What do you think, does it still need to be backed or not? Thanks.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:25 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Frankie. Good to be here.

Hi accman - I've never used a Penn Slammer before, but I have heard the term "braid friendly" before. Although I can't say for sure, I believe it means the way the spool is designed and how the bail puts line on the spool. I know there are certain older Penns that guys still like to use that don't seem to cast braid well, meaning they are always having wind knot problems. The width of the spool has something to do with I think, but perhaps another member can shed some light on it.

Any Penn Slammer users out there?

Hi Mark P - As probably mentioned earlier, Fireline is a fused line and not a true braid, but it seems to be very stable, casts well, and does not seem to experience wind knot issues. Some don't like it because it gets fuzzy, but a lot of guys swear by it.

Thanks for your contributions guys. Good stuff.
Old 07-22-2011, 06:21 PM
Admin

I have a Slammer460 on my 10' Lami surf rod. As stated already, it is not great with the braid, and I fish 30# braid on it. I'm also not a fan of the reel for the surf because it has "pot" metal parts in it that have corroded out on me a few times.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:49 PM
First Mate

Thanks for the great post. I use a breakaway cannon to prevent cutting my finger on the cast. I think that it also extends the distance of my casts.
Old 07-23-2011, 02:54 PM
Super Moderator

byf - I've never seen a "breakaway cannon" before. Then again, I live in a cave LOL. Would it be possible to post a pic or a link to the product. I'd like to check it out, just from an info standpoint.

Thank you for your contribution.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:44 AM
Administrator
Pro Staff

Here's the 'cannon'

http://www.cabelas.com/surf-fishing-...ng-aid-1.shtml
Old 07-25-2011, 10:42 AM
Super Moderator

Interesting device. I guess it probably takes a little getting used to, but would certainly eliminate the problem with your casting finger.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:57 AM
Official Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richtrox View Post
Interesting device. I guess it probably takes a little getting used to, but would certainly eliminate the problem with your casting finger.

Yes it takes about two or maybe three cast to get use to it.
Barry
Old 07-25-2011, 10:32 PM
Admin

I've never seen one of them in use, but my understanding of those Breakaway rigs and Canons, is that they are for bait fishing and not meant for regular casting and retrieving as you'd do with a bucktail or a plug.
Old 07-27-2011, 07:56 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Yes it takes about two or maybe three cast to get use to it.
LOL
Old 03-31-2012, 08:58 PM
Official Member

Rich,
Two quick questions from an old tread in preparation for the new season upon us:
1. Any new likes/dislikes for using braid while bucktailing inlets? I purchased a new spool for the very purpose of loading it with braid for buck tailing the deep water of the local inlet. I think the thinner diameter/ less drag would be beneficial.
2. Did you ever get around to trying the suffix braid last fall? Like it?
Thanks
Ty
Old 04-02-2012, 04:27 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Basslander - interesting questions you ask becuase much of the answer depends on what you are looking for, and in my case what I am used to. I pretty much use braid in the inlets now, but it took a little getting used to for me.

Many guys reference the fact that braids thinner diameter lets the bucktail get down to the bottom quicker, and this is true. The reverse of this is that it also makes it a little harder to keep it off the bottom. What this means is that you have to dial in your bucktail weights a little more accurately and precisely than you do with mono.

I used to fish mostly 30 lb Ande, but in some inlets, 50 lb Ande on conventional gear. I still used the 50 lb Ande around the bridges in my area for some of the same reasons. With the thicker diameter of mono I can use a heavier (larger) bucktail because of the bouyancy of mono and because of the pressure that the current puts on the line.

I have never done this yet, but it would make an interesting experiment. I would like to cast side-by-side with someone using braid and the appropriate weight (smaller than the one I use on mono) bucktail, and with me using a "heavy" mono conventional setup, and time how long it takes the lighter buck on the thinner line to get to the bottom vs. a heavier buck on heavier mono line. My personal opinion is that there won't be too much difference in time.

Here is one difference between fishing mono and braid that those who have never bucktailed with heavy mono before don't realise. With braid, you have to dial in the weight in order for the bucktail not to drag in the sand, or require extra reeling in order to keep it off the bottom. With heavy mono, when the buck comes to 90 degrees from where you're standing on the jetty and starts to swing downtide, a slight lift of the rod will pull the buck right off the bottom, even the heavier (larger) buck.

So in my opinion, it' easier to keep a buck from dragging bottom with mono, but it's strictly a feel thing, something that I'm used to from many years of using it that way. Heavy mono also allows you to "jump" over obstructions, like a sticky hump. This is particularly useful to me around certain bridges that are notoriously sticky and the humps are 4-5 foot high. Mono is also more abrasion resistant than braid.

By knowing where they are I can lift my rod tip high and float the buck right over the top of them. I have tried using braid in these same locations, and even lighter bucktails, was unable to do this with any consistancy.

So, I primarily use braid now in the inlets, but have to be more selective with the weight bucktail I use. I also check my braid a whole lot more for nicks and scrapes. But with the advent of some very good spinning reels that are now available (VS, ZB etc) with great cranking power, and excellent beefy spinning rods (from Lami and others) the need to use conventional gear in deep water, high current areas (inlets, etc) has been basically eliminated. It simply comes down to personal preference.

Braid's thinner diameter casts further and the no stretch assures solid hookups, but you have to dial in your buck weight and watch for nicks and abrasion. Heavy mono allows the use of heavier (larger profile) bucks, with better control (IMHO) and less worry about abrasion or snapoffs if a fish runs you into the jetty base, but you get a little less distance on your cast and you have to swing for the stars to get good hooksets.

I hope this helps.

-Rich
Old 04-03-2012, 03:50 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: Fishing with braid, a primer for the uninitiated,�.

Good thread- I've been using braids for quite a few years and have had luck with Fireline, Tuffline and Powerpro. They are a huge advantage to my style of fishing and I do use mono in certain situations.

I just spooled up my VS with some sufix 832 and will give it a try.
Old 04-08-2012, 09:08 AM
Official Member

Default Re: Fishing with braid, a primer for the uninitiated,�.

Hi Rich, I am new to using braid and wanted to know if it is necessary to use gloves or tape on your fingers when casting to prevent the braid from tearing into youre fingers.
Thanks