Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers on the Fly
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Stripers on the Fly Discuss fly fishing for Striped Bass here. Fly tying, tips, tricks, reports, etc. Everything fly!

Old 03-28-2012, 12:49 PM
Official Member

Default Old Man River

Due to lack of work, I've made it my 2012 goal to catch my first striped bass on the fly, preferably in the Raritan river, in New Jersey, near where I live. I'm hoping to catch them on their spring spawning run, as I've heard that they do travel up the Raritan during their northward migration. I'm new to the forum. This is my first post.

Welcoming any experience, advice, theory,
J.S.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:17 AM
Administrator
Pro Staff

Default Re: Old Man River

Hi J.S. Welcome to the forum
Old 03-29-2012, 01:01 PM
Official Member

Thanks Jake. I've been reading some of the posts from years past. Very informative. Great Forum.

Josh
Old 03-29-2012, 10:28 PM
Old Salt
Team Leader
Pro Staff

Welcome.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:42 PM
Official Member

Thanks zim. I just got a copy of fly fishing for striped bass by Rich Murphy, so I've been buried in that for the past two days. Great book! I feel like I'm attending striper college :). I've been out on the river a few times in the past week, mostly just to be out there, and I'm becoming more familiar with the personality of my 9 weight rod. I have been alternating between a floating steelhead line and an intermediate cold water striper line. I like the floating line in the current because I can mend it more easily. I'm pretty sure, from what I've read, that the majority of the stripers are still a ways south but I need something to do while trout season is closed for stocking. I'm going to hunt for some shallow estuary water with a dark bottom in hopes to intercept some of the early fish. I may have to look into getting a small kayak. Anyway... Not that anyone asked, but no one else seemed to be saying much.

Josh