Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic. > Shorebound - Surf Beginners
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Shorebound - Surf Beginners Information for the Shorebound angler

Old 03-25-2012, 08:37 PM
Official Member

Default What am I doing wrong?

I'm an avid salt and fresh water fisherman. I fish almost every day and the only fish that I can't seem to land is a striper. I have fished along the shore of the Hudson from the crab house in Edgewater to Haverstraw. I've used blood worms to bunker. My typical rig is a high/low with 4 to 6 ounces of weight. I'm just frustrated at this point I guess. If I had to estimate how many hours I've spent targeting stripers I would say it's around 125. I'm suspicious of my weights, are they too light?
Old 03-25-2012, 09:19 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: What am I doing wrong?

Not sure of your area currents but yeah try 8 or 10 oz weights maybe that's the ticket? Question are the fish taking your offering and your hooks coming back empty or just no hits at all? Do you have any friends that have been catching in this area ? Maybe they can lead you to the fish?
What ever you are doing isn't working maybe it's the times you are going,tides or simply the baits maybe Herring will work better? What I like to do when ever I am trying out a new area is find out who's been catching the biggest bass and try and find out what he is doing or ask your local tackle shop owner they usually can set you straight.
I'm not sure of your areas but don't keep repeating the same thing over and over if it is not working.
Keep us posted I hope you catch one very soon

BOAT FISH COUNT MAMA MIA FISHING
Old 03-26-2012, 07:36 PM
Official Member

IMO surf fishing on the hudson is a waste of time and money. there are a few exceptions. there are to many junk fish getting to you offering to soon. perch will make you go broke. most surf fisherman on the hudson only get about 5-10 fish a season. again there are exceptions. if you keep getting taps and never landing fish its most likely perch. if you fishing worms make sure your useing 2/0-4/0 hooks. fresh herring or fresh bunker is your best bet fishfinder rig 6/0 hook. you shouldnt need anymore weight then 6oz. head to croton point park and fish worms they have been doing very good there. hope this helps
Old 03-29-2012, 11:36 PM
StripeR

Using 8-10oz. Isnt smart.
I use 3~5,
Its still quite early for striped bass. And if there is no baits on the shore
U wont find bass.
Use clams and see if you get any hits from where u fish.,
If you dont get any hits, look for mew fishing area.
If u get some hits or some minor hits, fish there after 2weeks
From now on
Old 03-30-2012, 10:32 PM
Old Salt
Team Leader
Pro Staff

Use surgical gloves. One year i fished this time of the season with clam. Me and one other gent who showed up after i had been into fish. Identical shucked clams from same shop. I had ten bass and the only fish he got was one on my rod while i was pre-occupied. I wore gloves.... he did not. I later learned he was just there directly from work. Whatever is on your hands [btw?:::::: fishing in fresh water allows bass to pick up scent even better] I Don't now what you do for a living but this is just one of many FACTUAL observations and pet peeves i have should i opt to chuck clams. Fish very early (2am-6am) hold your rod in your hand and toss the spike. If using cut bait like herring or bunker? Change the bait after fifteen or twenty minutes as it should be fresh at all cost. Paul has a point that a six to eight oz sinker can keep your offering in a stable place with little or no movement. In early hours though,,, a big splash on calm waters can spook off fish so 3?-8? IT's just relevent to the current situation. Use the head as it has the most oils of the baitfish and it is what bass key in on immdiately. When retrieving your business end off the bottom to check/change your bait..... point the rod tip down and reel tight to the spool. Lift high up to lift the bait off the bottom and reel very fast keeping your business end moving and this my friend will keep you from snagging on rocks or debris as there is no shortage of that along the shoreline. Blah blah blah.............