Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > The Striper Forum
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

The Striper Forum All things Striper. Striped Bass Fishing Room Born on date March 11 2004.

View Poll Results: Do you think fishing locations should be displayed without editing on public forums?
Never - only general area information or in private 98 40.50%
Always - You have to know how to fish anyway 44 18.18%
In certain circumstances when its in an online print magazines and already well known 57 23.55%
Never only upon death and then lie about it. 18 7.44%
Could care less if i dont fish the area 5 2.07%
Could care less period. 20 8.26%
Voters: 242. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-26-2011, 04:01 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: Public Forum Spot Giving Poll

I am on both sides of the fence with some of the replies, I live in the Bronx, plenty of people in NY fishing. I have some good spots that I consider honey holes but people fish in the general areas doesn't upset me much, because you still need to know what your doing. I also fish a lot of L.I. and Montauk not such a secret area but there are better positions , and circumstances that make the difference. people that catch fish no this and the ones that don't catch by luck and without regularity. How many times have we fished a so called burned popular spot and still outfish others with lesser knowledge and persistance. I don't just give away information because I usually dont talk to many people when I am out fishing, usually just general thoughts and other b.s.. But the mods can edit and I can pm it is fine , don't have much problem with it. For me I actually like the feeling of working a spot that people are in ,plucking a couple of fish and going home and watching them look in as, like what the hell just happened. That to me is better than having a spot that no one knows about all to yourself, even though that is sweet also,just not as rewarding sometimes. Just my .02 and like I said agree with a little of both. Good fishing to all ChefBX.
Old 10-26-2011, 04:22 PM
Striper Hunter

Well said Sir.
Old 10-28-2011, 12:48 PM
First Mate

Loose lips lose spots. You're gonna get "mugged" anyway....why make it easy? Give it as a SECRET to whomever you will.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:23 AM
Striper Hunter

I think general locations such as Montauk, Robert Moses, or North Fork are fine.

Reminds me of when I was a kid and read the Fisherman mag. My Pop and I would take the boat out into the Great South or Moriches Bays and I'd always wonder why everyone anchored up and fished near the bouys... duhhh .... the fishing reports!
Old 03-23-2012, 06:20 AM
Official Member

It's fine say ame a beach if it's big, like north beach at sandy hook or IBSP. Still have to read the beach when you get there. I can see not wanting to name a small beach with little room to operate.
Old 03-24-2012, 04:57 AM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highlander5 View Post
It's fine say ame a beach if it's big, like north beach at sandy hook or IBSP. Still have to read the beach when you get there. I can see not wanting to name a small beach with little room to operate.
agree
Old 03-27-2012, 06:48 AM
Scot Paton

Well I just recently asked "Has anyone heard of any fish being caught in waters south of here? " in the rockhoppers forum. Still 0 replies what I meant was ie, Rhode Island, Fall River, and such. Not will you please hold my hand, and take me to you "SECRET SPOT" I just wanted to know if there were any fish in the general area, or approaching MA. now if I d say so myself that is pretty damned non-descript!! Too many tight asses in the world...lmao!!! JUST REMEMBER...YOUR SO CALLED SECRET SPOT...AS YOU REFER TO IT AS!!! WAS FISHED WAY BEFORE YOU CAME ALONG...AND WILL BE!!! LONG...LONG AFTER YOU ARE GONE!!! JUST SAYING! SOMETIMES THE TRUTH STINGS A LIL!!!!
Old 03-27-2012, 01:26 PM
absolute trophy hunter

this is a touchy subject in a forum that people are checking specifically for locating schools of fish. Im the guy doin as much research as physically possible and pushing my body to the extremes puttin in hard work and long days. I have earned every bit of experiance, knowledge, and honey holes that i now have.Hard work like this can go to ruin by publically postin locations.when you post something on an online forum its much more extreme than postin a pic or info at a local baitshop. i believe on sharing my passion and want people to be able to catch fsh like i do but certain knowledge must be dealt to the right hands. theres no filter for what info gets passed on via the internet. so what might seem like helpin some buddies out turns into anyone in the world can see what you just wrote. When im on here im just tryin to get a better idea of for trackin schools of fish or get a few or give a few tips. keep your post vague enough so that people can still get the info they need. only the dedicated, skilled, and deserving anglers will be able to locate your honeyhole unless you burn that spot. but anyone willin to put there time in is more than welcome to fish besides me...pm or emails are best for sensative info, ive watched my favorite spots get burned and harder to fish everyyear. perfect example is the guys that got busted in catskill poachin walleye.they werent even local guys, but heard through the grapevine all about the fishing, i busted them guys and now there takin extra steps to add strict regulations to protect them fish
Old 04-20-2012, 05:23 PM
Still Learning

Nothing beats doing your homework, building relationships, and trial and error. Talk to your local bait shop where you shop...don't go in there with a bunch of equipment purchased on line and expect good advice. Up here on the north shore of Mass. Kay at Surfland is always willing to offer good advice. No I don't think anyone should give out there "secret spot" but just being observant can help. What's the guy next to you doing, where are the crowds...avoid those!
Plenty of books out there on how to look for good spots...like I said doing your homework.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:24 PM
We'er like seven elevan; we may not be doing business but we'er always open.

lie lie lie I'll never tell ya anyways. It's half the fun....
Old 05-03-2012, 07:04 AM
Official Member

I have only been fishing 2 times in tidal waters and (got skunked) excluding crabbing, however
I'd feel like a schmuck asking a complete stranger where to go. When I started crabbing I started for no other reason than to spend time with my wife and son and if we caught something it was just a bonus. I love the adventure of getting ready the night before. I love tucking my 6 yr old in for a good night sleep as he rambles on about filling the boat with our catch.
So the moral of my story is: Tonight when I tuck the little man in the only thing on my mind will be, boy I can't wait for tomorrows adventure, not honey I need to get online to get a spot for tomorrow...
Old 07-12-2012, 09:53 AM
Official Member

My main problem is with a particular outdoor reporter in the SF Bay Area who has published info and directions on so many spots that we started a ground roots movement to boycott anything the guy publishes. The number of poachers and fools he has sent to the beaches, bays, rivers and lakes is beyond belief. Fortunately he has not found my secret beach yet! Everywhere he publishes gets overrun, fished out and polluted.
I't is so frustrating
CrackPlugger
Old 07-12-2012, 11:35 AM
Administrator
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackPlugger View Post
My main problem is with a particular outdoor reporter in the SF Bay Area who has published info and directions on so many spots that we started a ground roots movement to boycott anything the guy publishes. The number of poachers and fools he has sent to the beaches, bays, rivers and lakes is beyond belief. Fortunately he has not found my secret beach yet! Everywhere he publishes gets overrun, fished out and polluted.
I't is so frustrating
CrackPlugger
And there we have it, folks. This is why posting that sort of information publicly here is against the policy of this forum! It may appear on the surface to be helpful and shared with the best of intentions, but the reality is all too often not such a pretty picture.
Old 08-06-2012, 03:53 PM
First Mate

I feel like I have to worry less than maybe a lot of people on here do about spot locations. I basically don't fish anywhere that you couldn't learn about by asking at a local bait shop, or just by seeing someone else there. Everywhere I go is a pretty public spot. The place where I go most often is just the most convenient. If that area were to become overrun like in the pic a couple pages ago I don't think many of them would want to come back as there aren't enough fish there, and I think they'd get skunked and move on. I think it would mostly be local people that I'd have to worry about from a spot given away on the world wide web. Anyone 'from away' may need the help to find these spots on a vacation, but I don't think there'd be any special trips from much of a distance away for anywhere I fish, as there is probably better fishing closer to them. I will agree that an internet post can increase traffic to a spot and maybe spoil it. Telling a single person can do the same in the same way a pyramid scheme works.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:36 PM
Striper Hunter

Personally I believe it is up the person who may or may not want to help out another angler. Just share it a PM. To anyone who has paid their dues (I've been out there for 30 yrs) it is your decision weather you think a person can handle the knowledge. I enjoy (sometimes more than fishing it self) turning people onto fish and sharing that bit of enjoyment that they get to endure one of the greatest sports around. However, I do not post it out their for the world to see.

So it all comes down to common sense. Live and let live. Its a better bet.

Let the lines rip!!!