Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic.
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic. Saltwater and freshwater surfcasting. Plugging, Bait dunking and boating

Old 06-30-2009, 10:34 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Loading a Bomber?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimno1 View Post
first off, the long a is not an ounce and change it's only 3/4 of an ounce
you must have a magnum "a" which is 1 3/4 oz. different lure//
why i said there was a marked difference in swim action upon loading them.
the 3/4 oz loaded you will find swims a whole lot better that the magnum loaded which has a much longer profile and basically the same nose which originally will dive 2-3ft and trolled a foot better. but,, loaded will SINK and get down further. loading them was originally for distance and with fish hitting on top wouldn't be concerned with it sinking as it won;t take long for a hit but(hense the use of mineral spirits that is lighter than water), getting down to the strike zone has been a really good asset when loading them with water but, clearly not a good swimming plug after altering it.
Ahh, that was the confusion, sry about that. And yes, i did notice that loading the magnum really got it down which i really noted as a plus when i was fishing the sides of the jetty i go to, as i can get it down right where the bass lurk. I have not tryed the 3/4 ones yet, so i can not compare the action of the magnum to that of the 3/4. But with the magnum i only put 5 cc's on normal tap water, and it still maintained good action.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:27 PM
Old Salt
Team Leader
Pro Staff

i shot 10cc's into a storm shad and it cast 140' and asked a cownosed ray for a cigarette.
Old 07-01-2009, 01:03 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseystriper View Post
I was looking at these Long A's at the store the other day. I must have picked them up 5 or 6 times and went Hmmm they looked pretty nice but seemed light. How do you load these things?
The reason I did not buy one was the price, I never thought I would have thought a lure was to cheap money wise.
I have a few Yo Zuri magnet lures that swim real nice with good weight. I quess the magnet shifts for extended casting them back again for premium swimming, well so they say.
I still think there is nothing like a good wood lure though
I know these Bombers are not wood, what I ment is- I think wood has the best fluid movement(nothing like it) as long as you have a good one anyways.
What I ment about loading it is How-Where? I know inside but how do you get what ever inside the bait? Years ago we used to add weight or shot to some lures by drilling a hole and then plugging it. After it was how I liked it I would seal it. Is this done in the same process or is it made to be loaded? If drilled where is the best place to drill these things?
I know I used to have some smaller Bomber stuff(freshwater) but that was all stolen a few years back.(not one on hand to look at)
Old 07-01-2009, 01:14 PM
First Mate

You load it the same way you would a redfin. Simply heat up a sewing needle over a fire untill it is warm enough to puncture the plastic. Then simply take the needle and make a tiny hole above the head, then load it with whatever you want.