Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic. > Shorebound - Surf Beginners
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Shorebound - Surf Beginners Information for the Shorebound angler

Old 10-15-2008, 08:10 PM
First Mate

Default Re: clams as bait and catching huge eels

Guys,mustad makes a "liver hook",its designed for fishing with chicken livers,(catfish).Its a double hook with a safety pin like deal that help hold the bait.I am a freshwater fisherman mostly and never used clams but thought I'd share and it might work for ya.We use the gizzard out of big gizzard shad down here for striper and catfish.A lot of fisherman use to use them but it seems like not many anymore,its nasty and bloody.The gizzard shad has a gizzard like a chicken does,the shads had guts basically wrapped all around the gizzard,its hard and will stay on the hook good,you just have to lob it lightly to keep the rest of the guts on.Here is the liver hook.
sam
Old 12-03-2008, 07:13 PM
Striper Hunter

Default wrap a rubberband around the bait and hook

(((((((((( WORKS GREAT ))))))))))

Old 12-03-2008, 07:29 PM
Old Salt
Team Leader
Pro Staff

sure it is an option but using a double or trebble hook for bass fishing here (where the size limit is 28 inches) is not conservation minded as that thing can cause some added damage and make for a bad experience for the fish and it's mortality is now in question. safer to use circle hooks for sure. just my 2 cents though.
Old 12-04-2008, 11:02 AM
Lunker

I use rubber bands to keep fresh clams on..................it works
Old 03-06-2009, 05:58 PM
Rubber Shad Ex-spert

Been experimenten' with berkley fake baits. The Gulp series. I have in mind an experiment: Set a trap with frozen bait store clams vs. a trap baited with berkley gulp clams. I'll see who wins, and this'll be done during the warmer months. Traping for green crabs is slow and spotty. It seems I've cleaned out my normal spots . . . by trapping in the winter. Buggers don't walk very far, only far enough to get a sure thing. During the summer months I've plugged my traps.

I've been using the berkley gulp baits . . . to no avail around Boston lately (water temp = 37F) and points south, but I like the idea of them: cheap, stay on the hook, no "keeping it live and healthy" issues, I like the idea. I think this will be the year I experiment with it, and I've never been one for chunking / bait fishing / dead sticking. It is a technique. Live bait is a pain the &%$ to acquire, keep, and deploy. I'll let you know how my experiment goes: who cares
Old 03-06-2009, 06:18 PM
Old Salt
Team Leader
Pro Staff

I've been using the berkley gulp baits . . . to no avail around Boston lately (water temp = 37F) and points south..

WHAT!!!!
Old 06-21-2009, 07:15 AM
Rubber Shad Ex-spert

So the fake bait hasn't worked yet. Using live sandworms has . . . for catching eels! this one particular place is loaded with huge eels, and they are nearly impossible for me to release alive without simply cutting the hook (good bye 6/0 circle hook).

1) As far as drifting worms with a fish finder, do you more experienced fishermen use something to keep it off the bottom? I hear people use a split shot, but I can't see the reason why. Do fluke rigs work good for striper? I imagine a fluke rig would scare the fish away. It would keep it off the bottom however. So is it good to always go with a fluke rig when drifting bait?

2) Since you can catch giant eels here by reaching in and grabbing them, how would you go about fishing? Lures? Bait? Eels? I do not like fishing with eels. It's too expensive, but I'll only use them if I trap them myself.

Thanks
-dp
(anyone know of a good eel recipe?)
Old 06-21-2009, 10:07 PM
Old Salt
Team Leader
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpohlson View Post
this one particular place is loaded with huge eels
does anyone wanna take this?
Old 06-22-2009, 07:28 PM
Rubber Shad Ex-spert

haven't had much luck using live eels. Toss them out softly, be patient until they reach the bottom, then slowly reel in . . . I know. It just dose not seem to work.

Is that what you would recomend? Live eels?

I have enough respect for a guy like you Zim, that if you said so, I'll go out and spend the money on a dozen eels and try try again.