Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Biggest of the year.

Tags
biggest year
11K views 49 replies 21 participants last post by  FishOn73 
#1 ·
Hey guys my name is Chris im 24 outta the Poughkeepsie area. Been fishing the hudson since before I can remember. New to the site figured id stop trolling and introduce myself and maybe share some of the knowledge ive gained over the years. Far from a pro but consider myself above the curve. Mostly fish from shore untill tourney time then the boat comes out. Im also a Herring addict, been scapping since I was strong enough to hold a net and before these huge lift nets made everyone a pro haha. Im lucky enough to live close enough to the river that I get 4 hrs a night after work to fish. Ive only missed two days since easter. Wondering how everyone on the river has been doing this year, im up to around 15 myself. Been skunked by the big pigs so far this year the biggest being only 28lbs shake.gif. Tons of little fish being cought this year 8-15lbs. I also believe in c&r because a picture says more than a dead fish. So I guess the point is to say hi give a little backround about myself and see how everyones been doing. Anyone get any big boys yet??? Tight lines all

Chris

#2 ·
Whats up chris, im from the area and im sure ive seen you around. Guess youve caught some cows to be considering 28lb bass small! I heard about one 45lb a bit south of the bridge on tuesday , dunno if theres any truth though. Personallu got my biggest this uear at 31lbs.

Fish on!

#3 ·
I guess im a lil spoiled with big fish haha 28 is not small but what i would consider average. have put my time/sweat in and have my go to spots for decent fish. Lucky to learn from some seasoned pros at a young age haha. Im pretty sure I know that guy you were talking about, not below the bridge from what ive heard tho. You know how the game of telephone goes tho so you never know for sure. Saw pics of a few big ones but people seem not to know that when you hold a fish three ft in front of you for a pic makes the fish look ten times bigger woohoo.gifI guess it makes em happy to turn a 15lber into a 30+ haha oh well to each his own. 31 pounder is no fish to snub at tho! good to hear your getting into em this year and your biggest makes it all better!:icon_thumright: Ive personally watched 5 30-40lbers come outta here this year, nothing over 40 ive seen yet.This area is my favorate spot of the whole Hudson to fish. Were goin to have to get up sometime and swap some fish storys and kill some herring!

#6 ·
Stopping by to say HI. I am a total newbie at striper fishing. Hubby did it years ago untill i came into the picture. Dont know why he stopped..But i love going out. Holding my breath untill i get one. to be a 10lb fish would be fun. My biggest fish ever so far is a 18 inch striper. Go ahead giggle. I dont know what i am in for if i get a big one!! I have noticed alot of people read posts and dont respond. unfortunatly I have asked for some good areas and no one answered. guees they thought i would comee and steal their spot. Fome newburg area...but we go all over. happy fishing!!!

#11 ·
Caught my first Hudson striper this past week. My buddies scale said it was 13lbs, but I am not sure. It was almost 35". Does that sound right? Seemed just as fat as the others I am seeing. Either way I was happy as can be to catch my first. Cant wait to land a big boy.

Tight lines, T

#12 ·
Caught my first Hudson striper this past week. My buddies scale said it was 13lbs, but I am not sure. It was almost 35". Does that sound right? Seemed just as fat as the others I am seeing. Either way I was happy as can be to catch my first. Cant wait to land a big boy.

Tight lines, T
that might be a touch light

but don't base your opinion on other people's reports.... the vast majority of people overestimate the weight of the stripers they catch ... a fish over 20 lbs is big ... and fairly rare yet i hear people talk about 25 pounders all the time

i've been doing this 15 years, get out 25+ mornings a season and dont get too many 25 pounders laughing7.gif

#16 ·
Well guys, my biggest Striper was not this year, in fact I have not caught one yet this season. My biggest was from the Cape last September, 40" around 30 pounds. In fact that was my second Striper the first one was from the Hudson around 15" on a charter boat. I am new to this and have been having a tough time getting one this year. We live 2 hours away and have been 3 times and heading back on Wed. We are fishing on the tracks and not having much luck there. I think we are going to try a few new spots this week.

#18 ·
I can't tell you how many pictures i see of 12 to 15 pound fish that people describe as a 25 pounder.

Just this weekend i was in my local deli for a bacon egg and cheese sandwich and saw a pic on the wall of a decent striper.

I asked " how big" ..... and was told 34 inches and 30 pounds.

Yeah ..... well a fat 34 inch fish doesn't weigh 30 pounds .... doesn't weigh 25 pounds and if it is real fat might hit the 20 pound mark.

I am not saying they are not trophies... just that people overestimate the weight of these fish.

You should be proud of your catch ..... most people don't consistently see the size fish you do.

#20 ·
I can't tell you how many pictures i see of 12 to 15 pound fish that people describe as a 25 pounder.

I am not saying they are not trophies... just that people overestimate the weight of these fish.

You should be proud of your catch ..... most people don't consistently see the size fish you do.
100% agree. Not here to brag or tell people im the best, but ik that I put my time in and am rewarded with really good fish. Thats why I am proud of my fish because I put my hard work in EVERY DAY to achieve these fish. Pics can be altered and used to make fish look huge. Theres a reason I keep my scale accurate because im not here to prove anything to anyone. Just stated that I havent gotten any big ones all average fish 20-25lbs and just seemed like internet fisherman jumped down my throat about "rare" 25lb fish. "Ive never cought one so they cant exist" BS. They catch 60lb plus fish out in the ocean but theres no way we can average 20s in the hudson. Really wasnt trying to brag but share my experience this year and maybe share some storys but I guess that was to much to ask for.:frustrated:

#26 ·
I figured that lol no worries. It all comes down to being in the right spot at the right time. Even if your in the best spot in the world if the fish arent there your not going to get any fish. Doc z how many people enter this year you know? Last week seemed to be a tough week for myself and all of the guys im involved with. Weather just seemed to put the bite off till later on in the week with a couple "average" fish here and there. Might have been the same up there too im not sure. Its hard to break into the top ten of the tourneys down here without a 30+ fish. Usually in approx 4 tourneys per season. Had one third place with a fish just shy of 40 I beleve was 4-5 years ago.
There were 240 entries and 100 boats. Contest was from the Menands bridge to the Troy Dam.

#30 ·
Wow!! Scribbles of ebonics and aztecs in rafts. IDK what that has to do with fishing, but Kingston was pretty slow Sunday. We fished from 4am to 2 pm and landed 4 fish.Herring chunks was all we used. I usually try to get to the dock early and avoid the crowds. Makes for a more enjoyable day.sign13.gif

#31 ·
Hey there I am new here....been lurking for a month or so, just looking to gather information...very informative site. Just curious if there are any other options but the public launch in Newburgh (private marinas that allow day launch).

Long story short, used to have a boat in CT and did a lot of fishing in the sound, that was 20 yrs ago..before the whole wife and kids thing. Now I live in Orange Cty, my son is 11 and we do lots of lake and stream fishing..but last year I bought a small bowrider pretty much for use on a week-long family camping trip we take in the Adirondaks every year. But since now once again have a boat, we would love to try going for stripers.

Anyway, everything I've read in this and other posts makes me leary about the Newburgh launch....I used to deal with in to a certain extent in Norwalk, but then I was in my 20's and was with other 20-something guys and really not worried about dealing with total a$$holes....now that my posse will consist of my son and his friend, a little different story.

So are there any other options...say within a reasonable distance of Newburgh where I wouldn't have to put up with this crap? I live in Warwick but would rather drive a little further if it makes the day more enjoyable. Launch cost really doesn't matter since with my work schedule and my son's activities this is probably something we'd do a few times a year.

Any info would help. Grew up in Orange county and have lived here most of my life, but have actually never been out on the Hudson, looking forward to it, but don't want it to be more of a hassle than it's worth. Thanks, and thanks for a great forum....learning a lot.

#40 ·
Ship of Fools no worries brother, and as far as what you say about lazy fish you maybe on to something. Ive got family that lives up that way and always say the same thing that they dont get the big ones on average compaired to down low. Is this a proven fact? no far from it. Just observations between fishermen. Maybe the bigger fish spawn earlier idk but your are not the first person ive heard comment about that. As far as public boat loanches theres Poughkeepsie which isnt usually busy but has really limited parking. I think like 5-8 long spots for boats and trailers. Roundout isnt to to bad either free with limited parking too. Norrie point in Staatsburgh is a real nice ramp with a dedicated harbor master I think it was $6 last time I launched there (last season) Poughkeepsie is free but hard to find parking. Theres alot of smaller private spots that rent "striper slips" for a month or so. Also some private places that let you launch for the month that normally are private. Just make a couple calls. Norrie is always my port of choice if Poughkeepsie is packed, plenty of parking and im paying to keep a state park open. Also they have bathrooms and park security too which is nice. Hope that helps a little MXK! Well im killing the last few seconds of work till I go drown in this rain till dark! whooo!! haha
:flyfish:
Chris

#47 ·
hi Chris, names jeremy... your intial post describing your backround really remind me of myself lol. im about as die hard as youll find, put about 60-70 hours a week on the river. i started my striper fishin also with some serious tourney anglers that def help pave the way to my succsess. i fish mostly from shore but get out on boats a good amount. so far this season similar story as well, up to 23 striper this year so far but the big one has also eluded me. biggest so far 38" 27lbs but lots of 20-22lbers. im not gonna be happy unless i break at least 30lbs or 40" honestly. good luck and tight lines bud

#48 ·
I hear ya man. You kinda look familiar prolly ran across eachother at some point. This year has been frustrating for me. Im up to 20 myself with about 15 more hand offs to people never been and wanna catch their first fish. I enjoy watching peoples faces as that first big swell when the fish is close to shore. Even a 20lb fish looks like a monster. All my fish have been the same 20-25lbs, a few small ones but not many. Between myself and my two buddies who are also diehards were 5 fish from 100. None of us have broken 30lbs yet and were all the same way as far as not being happy haha. Ive had several big fish pics sent recently from below where we fish so im pretty confident we all should be getting into em this weekend. Send me a pm if u wanna hook up sometime.
Tight lines

Chris

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.