Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Popham Beach Phippsburg, ME 08-17/18-07 Pictorial

10K views 30 replies 14 participants last post by  BryanL 
#1 ·
Another great Striper 24/7 outing at Popham Beach Phippsburg, ME. Please post your pictures and notes here.
Next stop Boston, MA.

Social Time

Uninvited guests

Weapons of bass destruction.

Popham Beach before

Popham Beach after Striper 24/7

Good friends-Good fishing

Striper Jim

Baitrunner and Gunny

Relocating for the evening tide at the Fort.

A true "all nighta"

Tide change stratergy

Zemma's blend

Daybreak plugging

Catch of the day

Released to fly into fishing line again.

Met some new friends and saw some new country. Thanks guys.
Coalman

See less See more
#3 ·
Here's a few photos I took. Was great to fish with ya'll again thumbsup.gif

Lunch

The ladies. Amanda (right) did a great job cutting up the french fries for lunch.

Gunny did a great job frying em up!

Slap Yo Mama chicken rocks!

Scone explaining to Striperjim how he jerks off...
The two handed technique...

His favorite method...

(sorry couldn't resist,,, actually talking about fishing thumbsup.gif)

Nice cast Smulax thumbsup.gif

#4 ·
What a great time it was!!!! Next stop will actually be a bit south as some of the guys would rather not go into the city. Which is good for me as I am moving back to CT for a year for work. Anyways, I must say I couldn't have picked a better bunch of guys to fish with. All of you were great. I look forward to the next one which will be south of Bean Town in a nicer area with the same style fishing as we did in Maine. I hope to see all of you there! Oh I have a couple of pictures I will put up later....

#10 ·
Falling through that chair sucked!!!! No photochop needed on that one!

#11 ·
Another great outing... Can't wait for the next one. I finally got my first striper although it was a bit short, it was the most beautiful thing Ive ever seen. Can't wait to get that keeper Im sure it's gonna be mighty tasty. Wish I had some pics to share but I think I took enough on Gunnys camera. Hope to see some more of you in Boston next month these gatherings are great... As I told gunny, it was the best time Ive ever had in my life... Thanks for the great memories guys.

BryanL

#12 ·
Aint that always the way Bryan. When you need a camera its not around but when you look like sh*t warmed over theres like 5 of em. :notworthy:
Me and Ray were there as witnesses. If it was the Hudson it would have been a keeper. On a surface swimmer. Well done.

#13 ·
I just missed it. I woke up from a hour of shuteye and walked back to the beach with all hands in the water tossing plugs. Jim is up to his chest in water and I heard him yell they are hitting poppers. 2 seconds later, I'm in the water with the rest of the crew. I'm glad no one caught a picture of my catch.... Remember the crab hanging onto my eel. That crab turned into seagull food.

I think memories of the weekend will last quite a while. It didn't matter that all I caught was crabs. :smile: The conversation and sharing of info was worth it....and I got to try Jim's multi hundred dollar reel for a few casts. What was the brand on that reel again? It was beautiful, and almost as nice as the sunrise.

I did learn a great trick for catching eels from a cooler full of water. Use one of Coalmans socks slipped on like a glove. I think the dirtier the sock, the better the grip....They were still slippery little suckers.

#14 ·
I agree a good trip. It was my wifes first camping and all night fishing trip. she took it like a champ being the only woman and all. no fish for me but like roc said it aint always about the fish. I have pics too and will post them once I get them on the computer. I am glad everyone had fun. and jon you owe me $35 for the chair. Just kidding that was funny. Congrats to Brian on that first fish It will only get better from here.

#15 ·
Smu you owe me 35 for a broken ass, damn that trap chair. My girlfriend and your wife got along well which was quite good for us. Maybe ill have to bring the girl again...

#21 ·
fishing sucked in the canal the first two nights...tuesday night/wed morning made up for it when i finally found a pod of decent fish..from 4am till about 7am it was non stop fish on the surface..a mixed bag of 25-30 inch fish..no cows but a good time..the most fun i had was taking my son and nephew to water wizz on tuesday, and my little maggie to the campground country store for ice cream...i was not able to do much more after late wednsday afternoon..i had twisted my back just right..or should i say just wrong...

#19 ·
Thanks Smu... Jon do you really think she'd go to another one of these? :redbiggrin: I guess if you give her ALL of the info she wold be better prepared for a full weekend of fishing LOL.

BryanL
The best and worst thing about my wonderful girlfriend is that she will go anywhere with me. Can be a pain sometimes. But yea she would definetly go again over and over. Although she is in law school and will be starting her second year soon so there won't be much time for the rest of this year. Ohhhhhh well looks like it will be just me and you guys ;)

#23 ·
jimi i think i was throwing at the same pod of fish as you . i read in a previous post you made that said you were going to be fishing there that week.that sunday morning prior to the tues i think your talking about from mid canal eastthe plce was lit up with fish on top chasing small bait.i had a double with fish hittng teaser and plug both were fat 26-28 inch fish caught many more smaller bass but all fish were keyed on smaller offerings. its funny ,in past such situations small metal has served me well but all they wanted was small spook style stuff and my teasers.any way hope your back feels better remember all those breaking fish come january.thumbsup.gif

#25 ·
holy friggin crapola..something tells me we were fishing the same group of fish..they were bustin all over...i think we are in the same general location...hint..our nations bird mean anything to you? ...the eastern end of that stretch...i saw baitfish between 4-6 inches long..under the bourne bridge sunday and monday..im not sure what kind of bait it was but it was kinda cool to see the potential bass magnets swimming along..funny, i worked the hell out of bridge area the first two nights only to catch a skunk...it was a good idea to move east after that...

#24 ·
ok so in the unpacking we lost the camera. once I find it i will try to put up some pics by then the thread will be two weeks old and no one will go on it. this week is busy because both the wife and I are trying to squeeze in as many activities into the last week of summer as possible.

#26 ·
the bait i wsa seeing was small 1-2 inch,i actually used some small calcutta swim shads as a teaser ahead of my plug(a first for me and it worked great!)cut way down on distance though,and was a minor nuisance at times getting tangled up.you think maybe you were seeing choggies? they seem to be present at most areas along the canal and bass will eat them too but ive never seen them herded into bunches and blasted up like that.

#27 ·
i have no idea what the small baitfish were..they were along the rocks all around the bridge columns just before dark...some smaller schoolies or blues were slapping around those rocks every night...but i could never hook into anything over there....i tried to "match the hatch" based on the baitfish i saw along those rocks for nothing...i figured it was good to stick with lures simillar in size to that bait no matter where i fished..it was just a matter of finding the pod of bass willing to eat what i had...this past vacation, although not a lot of fishing time, due to the back injury, was my first adventures using a bicycle...from now on..ill never go to the canal without one...now..to fabricate a rod holder for the wifes mpountain/canal bike...:icon_stirthepot:

#28 ·
hey guys.i don't mean to (re)hijack this thread but this months on the water
magazine has some pretty good- familiar pictures of popham beach-page 60
those blitzes we saw in the am are a regular event- and the locals know it.
also that island we hoofed (jon and myself) to is a local hot spot..

#29 ·
I believe it... how was that island by the way? Was there any place to land a fish during low tide? I was thinking about staying out there for high tide but I never made it out that way. Maybe next time I go I'll try that.

BryanL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.