Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Okuma Baitfeeder help

9K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  darndam 
#1 ·
I already have a shimano baitrunner 8000D and love it to death but we all know they are pricey. So I'm looking to try out one of the Okuma baitfeeders for my 2nd pole, since I notice I miss a lot of runs by not getting there in time. The Avenger ABF Graphite Baitfeeder was my 1st choice, then the regular Avenger ABF Baitfeeder was second. Not sure about which sizes can handle stripers either since I'm looking online, but I'm looking for something around the same size of the Baitrunner 8000D (21.7 oz) or maybe a tad smaller. As long as it can handle stripers, that's the size I need. I'm gonna be using Berkley Big game 20lb mono. Any info, pros/cons will be much appreciated. They both got great reviews but it's the reviewers credibility I'm worried about so I'm asking all of you lol. If you respond, please remember to note whether it's graphite or not, and model size. Thanks guys...

#2 ·
In my opinion if youve used a Shimano and switch to either you will not be happy. I have tried most of the different brand baitrunners and they always end up on a shelf and the Shimanos go back on the poles. It may just be me but I find that the main drag on the Shimanos is the smoothest. For me its not worth saving the money if your not going to trust the gear. But other guys do like the Okumas.

#4 ·
I have been using an Okuma Avenger 65 with 20lb and landed a 38 incher with no problems. Second year now, I am thinking it will need to be replaced way sooner than a shimano. I just don't thing the durability is the same. I only us it 1 month a year and make sure its cleaned, lubed and dried after every trip.

#5 ·
I have never used a shimano baitrunner, only Okuma Avengers. (So take this for what it is). I have a 7' pole setup with the ABF 50 (I use from the boat) and a 9' pole ( I use from shore) set up with the ABF 65. If your concerned with the price of the Shimano then the Okuma is the way to go. I have been very pleased with the Avenger baitfeeders. Overall the 65 is my favorite. Both sizes can easily handle a large striper although the 65 just makes it so easy. Ive had both reels for over 3 years now and havent had an issue with either. I cant justify spending over $100 on a reel for the 1.5 months a year I use it. If price is a concern I dont think you will be disapponited with the 65. ($59.99 from Gander MT)

#6 ·
Ive had 2 Okuma Avenger 65 for the past 5 years now. Never had a single problem with either of them and I put in 15hour days all season long. I just switched over to Shimano 12000D last season (for no real reason, just had money burning a hole in my pocket) they are fantastic if your willing to spend the money. The drag seems much smoother than any other reels Ive used. I also like how the Shimano has a maint port.

#7 ·
I have a Penn as my primary reel and a Okuma ABF as my 2nd rod.

Up until yesterday i never had a problem with Okuma ... but i snapped the handle off my Okuma right after i put the brakes on a Striper :eek: ... had to hand-line the fish to the boat (good thing it was only a 30"er).

To many plastic parts on the reel IMO and not really that smooth compared to other brands.

Can't go wrong spending the extra bucks on a Shimano. :icon_thumright:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.