Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2017 HERRING TRACKING REPORTs

64K views 110 replies 43 participants last post by  freddiethej 
#1 ·
We can use this thread to track Herring movements up the river.

:icon_thelmutsalute:

Let us know when you start seeing them ... General location or county is fine, no need to give up your specific honey holes.

Thank you!

#57 ·
Got out for my first time of the season in Greene. Was able to scap up bait with no issue. It was looking like a great day ..till my etec shit the bed for the thousandth time.

#59 ·
Thank you someone got ticketed for netting in Wappingers Creek now they want to fight me because I was there I never even called or messaged Dec but it's my fault for him breaking the law then I'm told it's the same vehicle that left over 50 rotten herring in a cooler I'm a parking lot on someone's property but us guys that do it correctly are the bad guys

#61 ·
You're better off confronting them in person when you see it happening and asking if they're aware of the regulations.
Personally I'm all for conservation, don't have a problem with the 10 herring or striper slot sizes. Although, I think gill net aside, it's silly that you can't scap in a creek. 10 herring is 10 herring. That's about on par with them saying you couldn't take "creek herring" and use them in the river or "river herring" and use them in the creekbrick.gif
Regardless, for those that do, it's not worth the ticket. Adapt and overcome.

#62 ·
The only one Im not a fan of is the herring thing. I like to refresh bait often. a fishing trip could last me an hour if i refreshed the way i like to. With that said, the ten harring rule has to be the least enforced rule in the book. A buddy of mine kept 6 herring last year at the end of the day and put them in a bag in the bottom of his bait tank. Next day got checked on the water and was nervous cause he had that bag in the boat and his limit in his tank. The guy didn't even look in the tank let alone ask how many herring were on board.

#63 ·
I agree with you Bub! Who cares how I catch them as long as I am not taking more then 10 as the law states. I do not net in the creeks now because that is how the law reads. It's as crazy as the size limit. I am for the slot regulation but why should the guys south of the G.W. be able to keep the same fish we have to throw back?

#64 ·
I agree with you Bub! Who cares how I catch them as long as I am not taking more then 10 as the law states. I do not net in the creeks now because that is how the law reads. It's as crazy as the size limit. I am for the slot regulation but why should the guys south of the G.W. be able to keep the same fish we have to throw back?
Just a guess but above the GW the goal is specifically to protect the spawning fish.

#71 ·
I also notice quite a bit of difference when it comes to bait. The bigger the bait the more chunks i get that's how i see it because if they get to a certain size i wont even use them live. Im assuming that the bluebacks are the smaller of the two? I may be wrong but that's been my experience.

#76 ·
Went south from Albany today, marked some on the FF but spotty, did not bite. Regarding the cats, they will kill the live herring pretty quick so fishing just live is no panacea. The channel cats are an invasive species, 20 years ago there used to be nothing but black and brown bullheads, now they are virtually gone. My opinion? The channels wiped out the shad, and the herring are next. The population will crash and we're all gonna' die.

#77 ·
All I know is I have no issues with the cats when fishing live but as soon as chunk hits the bottom they are there and the rod tips bouncing. its annoying. Fished yesterday for a couple hours with chunk and the rod tips didn't stop. Got one cat that managed to snare its self in my line other then that a dead screen.

#89 ·
Getting bait has been brutal the last couple of days in Greene. It took 3 hours of non stop scaping to get two. Days like this make me miss my gillnet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.