Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

looking for places to fish

Tags
fish places
4K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Doublerunner 
#1 ·
swans and geese

If there are swans and geese swimming in the water does that mean there aren't any fish in that area ? I am new to shore fishing and was wondering if thats why I haven't had any luck.The places I go to have those birds lazily swimming ..

#2 ·
Re: swans and geese

If there are swans and geese swimming in the water does that mean there aren't any fish in that area ? I am new to shore fishing and was wondering if thats why I haven't had any luck.The places I go to have those birds lazily swimming ..
I've caught plenty of fish with swans, geese, ducks, and whatever else around. I don't think they have much of an effect on stripers, but I could be way off base.

Just my two cents.

#6 ·
I am no expert on this but from reading through this site thoroughly I can say there is more to it than the tides alone. While fishing before and after the high tide is a good idea there are other things that can affect the fishing such as moon phase, weather, and water temperature as well as what kind of bait is in the area that stripers are feeding on.

Also, if you have the time, go to your spot during low tide. Look for the areas that striped bass will "hang out" in and then cast into those areas when the tide is in. Areas such as deep pools. Or a "rip" or "current" that comes in between two structures such as submerged or partially submerged rocks, etc

Watch how the currents and rips change as the tide changes.

As far as night fishing goes vs day fishing I have no experience in that area except again from what I have researched so if you're going to go night fishing then know your area. Go during the day and/or low tide to scout the areas. Water temperature and the weather pattern from the day will play a role.

I don't know if this info helps but sometimes there is no replacement for just getting out there and trying different things

Good luck

#11 ·
I went out this morning and 'fed' the fish ..Lots of hits none hooked ..A fish jumped out of the water it was 8 to 10 inches , I didn't see what kind it was .. They were taking bait like experts..I just wish I knew what was doing it..I tried big hooks , small hooks , 3 oz , 2 oz and then 1/2 oz weights..I put a big chunk of fish on it was gone in seconds , when I put a small piece on they wouldn't touch it..

#13 ·
Yes I tried to set the hook but nothing , then i just let it or them take it hoping they would hook themselves but nothing..I was wondering if it was pogie enjoying breakfast they have been hard for me to hook in the past..I enjoy catching my own bait it's better then frozen stuff that breaks up in the water..I get to nervous just resting my pole so I always hold it ..

#14 ·
I caught my first one

I caught my first one yesterday it was awsome..I got so excited that I got a quick pic and released it before measuring it.. It couldn't have been no more than 16 inches..I have spent hours reading everything on this site it has been so helpful..I thought my line had a birds nested but later after cutting it fixing the loop on my reel after I got home ..it turned out to have been line from someone else , they just threw it in the water where I was lucky enough to catch it on my line and it stopped my fishing right then and there ..Thank you for all of the great advice on this site..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.