Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Scap Nets

12K views 29 replies 15 participants last post by  Salvator 
#1 ·
I cannot find any information on how to make a scap net or buy them. Can somebody help me find them. Thanks

#2 ·
herring

i am gonna scap herring as they swim up the small creek we fish...my uncle owns a scap net but he uses it all season. I tried the google and all other seach engines. Any homemade scap nets anybody has,maybe they can write me up a blueprint or something. Thanx

#6 ·
To all you fishing guys out there that want to build your own scap nets. If you go online to Jann's NetCraft, you will find that they have a book on how to make various nets. Plus they also sell the related items needed to make them. Another site to check out is Memphis Net & Twine Co.. That is where I buy all of the twine that I need for net making. Let me forewarn you though, net making is a slow and tedious job. It is also hard on the fingers until you get used to it, and your fingers callous over. Net making is not something to just jump into. My six footer that I made in 2006 took approximately 50 hours of labor. Good luck, and hope the info is helpful.

#8 ·
Scapnet

I have a hand made replacement scap net for sale. It is four foot by four foot. I made it with tar impregnated nylon twine, and it has a dark brown border rope. This net is very well made. I also have a six foot by six foot net for sale. Photos of the six footer were posted on this site earlier in the year. If interested you can contact me through Stripers 247. The nets are reasonably priced. Buyer pays shipping.

#28 ·
Re: Scapnet

I have a hand made replacement scap net for sale. It is four foot by four foot. I made it with tar impregnated nylon twine, and it has a dark brown border rope. This net is very well made. I also have a six foot by six foot net for sale. Photos of the six footer were posted on this site earlier in the year. If interested you can contact me through Stripers 247. The nets are reasonably priced. Buyer pays shipping.
[/Hi Hi In the Hudson 6 x 6 is not legal 4x4 is ok:icon_wekke:

#9 ·
Re: Scapnet

If anyone is contemplating this, let me tell you from personal experience that these nets are QUALITY. He is also very good to deal with. He made one for me that I told hom needed to be four feet by four feet. Well, when I got it it was obviously too small for what I needed. I checked the one I had purchased from the River Basin ( a local sporting goods store by me) and it turns out that the nets is actually 4 feet six inches square. I informed him of this and HE apologized to ME! I sent it back to him and he made me one to the right specs and it's awesome. Although he said it wasn't necessary I paid him for his shipping cost of the original net he sent me. It just didn't seem right to me that he should be out that $5.

#23 · (Edited)
Reading this thread I thought i'd throw a couple of things out there. Regulations have changed since many of these replys have been posted. Recreational scapping for bait in the Hudson River has now been restricted to a 4'x4' square net. A permit can be obtained for larger nets but there is also an escapement period where you cant use the permit net. 6am Friday morning thru 6pm Saturday. Absolutley no scapping in Hudson River tributaries.

#24 ·
Reading this thread I thought i'd throw a couple of things out there. Regulations have changed since many of these replys have been posted. Recreational scapping for bait in the Hudson River has now been restricted to a 4'x4' square net. A permit can be obtained for larger nets but there is also an escapement period where you cant use the permit net. Basically Friday night through Sunday.
I thought that escapement period was for the commercial license guys...

#26 · (Edited)
Thats correct. The escapement period is for commercial nets including any net that requires a permit. Thats any scap net larger than 4x4. You have to use your 4x4 during the escapement period. Also, when using nets larger than 4x4 which you require a permit for....your scap pole is supposed to be ORANGE with the permit number on the pole somewhere. And this year..your supposed to fill out a form every day the permit net is used to be mailed to the DEC. Just for clarification.. if your net requires a permit....it is a COMMERCIAL NET.

#29 ·
6x6 scap nets all the way up to 10x10 are legal in the Hudson River. Anything over 4x4 requires a permit from the DEC. Ive been obtaining scap permits for over 15 years straight. I help other people get their permit..4x4 is the recreational fishing size. Dont forget you are limited to 10 herring per day per fisherman. Obviously if you have a permit and are selling bait...the 10 herring rule does not apply. 10 herring limit is for recreational fishing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.