Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

How to spool braid?

Tags
braid spool
39K views 30 replies 15 participants last post by  lozwell 
#1 ·
Hi All,
Yet another question from me. Hopefully I can start giving back soon. I am hearing a lot of good things about braid and I used a friends reel once that had the spider wire braid on it and I really liked the feel. My question is how do I spool it up ona spinning reel. I have heard you have to use Mono backing to get it on the reel and that you should use a shock leader on the business end. Is this true? Assuming 20# test spiderwire green braid could someone give me some thoughts on a basic step by step level as to how to set that up from spool to swivel? Thanks!

#2 ·
I put about 10 yds of mono on my spool ( via an allbright knot 21 turns) then I wet pack the braid, to do this, I half fill a 5 gallon bucket with water, I then put my spool of braid into it, I have a steel dowel that is the width of the bucket that I put through the spool, and drop the spool into the bucket, now I can pinch the braid between my fingers and fill my spool, the line packs tightly and is less likely to dig into itself...

#3 ·
Hi Colad,
What Roccus said thumbsup.gif

It is very important to use a mono backing under the braid, simply because without it the braid will slip on the spool rendering your reel useless when you have a fish on. I put just enough mono on the reel so that you can still fit at least 200-300 yards or so of braid on top of it, filling the spool to within an 1/8” or so from the lip. The amount of mono will vary depending on the size of your reel, but you don’t need much to provide the spool grip it’s intended for, anything more than that is just to save you money by partially filling the spool with a cheaper line than braid.

I use an Albright knot to join the mono backing and the braided line. The Albright knot is pretty easy to tie once you learn it and is great for joining two lines of different diameter.

Unless I’m planning to throw more than 4 or 5 ounces, I don’t use a shock leader and just terminate the braid with a swivel. If I do need to use a shock leader, I join it to the braid with an Albright knot coated with Plio-Bond (a waterproof pliable cement). The coating helps to protect the knot as it passes through the eyes during the cast and helps lock it together. Make sure your shock leader is long enough that it is wrapped a good 4 or 5 times around the reel when casting.

I’m sure others have different methods, but this has worked very well for me. thumbsup.gif

#9 ·
Hi Colad,
What Roccus said thumbsup.gif

It is very important to use a mono backing under the braid, simply because without it the braid will slip on the spool rendering your reel useless when you have a fish on. I put just enough mono on the reel so that you can still fit at least 200-300 yards or so of braid on top of it, filling the spool to within an 1/8" or so from the lip. The amount of mono will vary depending on the size of your reel, but you don't need much to provide the spool grip it's intended for, anything more than that is just to save you money by partially filling the spool with a cheaper line than braid.

I use an Albright knot to join the mono backing and the braided line. The Albright knot is pretty easy to tie once you learn it and is great for joining two lines of different diameter.

Unless I'm planning to throw more than 4 or 5 ounces, I don't use a shock leader and just terminate the braid with a swivel. If I do need to use a shock leader, I join it to the braid with an Albright knot coated with Plio-Bond (a waterproof pliable cement). The coating helps to protect the knot as it passes through the eyes during the cast and helps lock it together. Make sure your shock leader is long enough that it is wrapped a good 4 or 5 times around the reel when casting.

I'm sure others have different methods, but this has worked very well for me. thumbsup.gif
Would using some electrical tape on the spool and then braid directly accomplish the same as the mono backing? Friends have recommended doing this and then adding another piece of tape over the knot in case you were to get spooled.

Carious of your take on this before I go with it.

#4 ·
Thank you Both! this is great info! For the braid is a palomar knot still good to terminate with on the swivel? that is what I use now and it seems to hold up pretty well. Didn't know if that changed for the braid.

Thanks again!

#6 ·
Ok,
Tomorrow is the night of braid for me. I have one last question. I have 20# braid with 30# fluro leader. Do most of you terminate the braid right to a barrell swivel and then tie a 18-30 inch leader to that? What about a snap swivel? Seems a snap would be easier to switch out leaders/lures?
Or do many of you just tie the leader to the line and just cut it when you want to change out?

any thoughts are always appreciated.

thanks!

#7 ·
That sounds about right but keep the leader closer to 30". I normally use a leader between 36" and 40"

I'm a duolock snap fan but only after it's been modified to help keep a big fish from opening it. Here's a picture (the modified snap is on the left) and a link to the thread that explains the modification

Hand Rectangle Font Eyewear Gadget

http://www.stripers247.com/phpBB2/showthread.php?p=58228&highlight=duolock#post58228

Also remember braid can cut you, especially if you've been fishing wet and your fingers are pruned up and soft and you're throwing metal or big plugs. Use some kind of finger protection. Some guys use various kinds of tape, I've always had problems keeping tape on when I'm out on a rock and getting beat by waves so I use the leather finger protectors you can get at most tackle shops

Gesture Finger Thumb Font Jewellery

#27 ·
:iagree:
That sounds about right but keep the leader closer to 30". I normally use a leader between 36" and 40"

I'm a duolock snap fan but only after it's been modified to help keep a big fish from opening it. Here's a picture (the modified snap is on the left) and a link to the thread that explains the modification

Hand Rectangle Font Eyewear Gadget

http://www.stripers247.com/phpBB2/showthread.php?p=58228&highlight=duolock#post58228

Also remember braid can cut you, especially if you've been fishing wet and your fingers are pruned up and soft and you're throwing metal or big plugs. Use some kind of finger protection. Some guys use various kinds of tape, I've always had problems keeping tape on when I'm out on a rock and getting beat by waves so I use the leather finger protectors you can get at most tackle shops

Gesture Finger Thumb Font Jewellery
For finger protection Aquaskins and Gamakatsu have decent ones for around $15. In the past I had also modified an archery finger protector that I had, it worked very well for me as sometimes I like to grabe line w/ 2 fingers. I also had a bunch of these as I liked to shoot freehand and hardly ever used a release. Picture is not of exact type used. I also had one stitched up out of neoprene w/ hide on the tips as I like the feel better

As for snaps/clips I have modified snaps similar to Sudsy but I also like the Breakaway and Sea Striker Fastlink Clips-there is really nothing to come unsnapped (it kind of looks like a paper clip)

Attachments

#10 ·
(that's not what i said at the pier.(if that was indeed you) you missunderstood. in a pinch the tape would work but you better just use the mono like i said and albright the mono to the braid. mark how much braid you have on there now and spool mono up a half inch and then tie the braid with an albright knot to the mono and spool on the braid. :welcomeaboard:

#11 ·
:anon: I'm located in San Diego and haven't gone pier fishing in almost 10 years. I'm more into jetty, surf and boat fishing.

I intend to spool up a brand new Penn Spinfisher 950SSm with 65lb braid (using Spiderwire Red, approx. 15lb mono diameter) and then do a 30lb topshot of mono. Hoping to grab some yellowtail this weekend.

Needless to say, your advise is good and considered. :thu:

#12 ·
I've been using PowerPro and I really like it. Here's how I do it...

Purchase a 150yd spool of PP. On a medium sized spinning reel, wind on the PP directly to the spool, no mono. Then tie your mono backing to the PP with a Uni to Uni knot. Now wind on enough mono to finish filling the spool. Then strip all the line off onto a water bottle using a drill. Strip the line off of that water bottle and onto another water bottle using the drill. Now your Mono is on the outer wraps of the water bottle. Tie the Mono onto the spool using an arbor knot. Wind the line onto the reel using a rag or gloves to create tension while winding.

Using this method, I can have the perfect amount of line on the reel without wasting any of the expensive braid, and I KNOW I have 150 yards of braid on the spool to work with.

#14 ·
hi im new here just got into striper fishing last summer. and now im "hooked" anyway i went out and bought a penn captiva rod and reel combo (spinner reel ) and spooled it up with 110 yards of 20lb spider braid.
then read the site >.> now im unspooling today and adding a backing basicly my question is is 110 yards enough (plan on surf and boat fishing in the merrimack area) or do i need more and if so do i join another spool of line to that spool or should i just strip it and buy a bigger spool of line.

#15 ·
welcome to the site,there are a lot of guys here who spend a lot of time on the water and reap the rewards.im not too familiar with your reel and its capacity, but i feel really confident that 110 yards is not nearly enough.you dont want to find out you dont have enough line when you are into a fish of size that cant be turned easily.an under filled spool isnt going to cast well anyway. drop a few bucks in your local b&t shop and have them spool it for you maybe. you will probably learn about the places you are interested fishing also.good luck and look around the site.lots of good stuff here for someone just starting out .

#16 ·
Model: CV6000
Capacity: 225yds / 16lb
Gear Ratio: 5.2:1
Weight: 18.1 oz
thats the penn reel i am going to have it spooled for me but my question still stands that if i need to get more line it seems that they only sell 110 yards/spool do i join the new spool to the old ala the albright knot ?

#17 ·
A.> the captiva is a piece of s#@t!
B. spider "anything" sucks!
C. any other braid you use ie; power pro/fireline/etc. have 300 yd spools.
the 150 yd spool may fit that reel with backing but am sure most of the 300 yds of 30# will fit with like 10 yds of backing mono.
D. if it's too late to regroup and get a decent reel the thing to remember with that reel is not to lean on the handle while fighting a fish "it WILL break". set the drag at 17-20# and never touch the bail knob again as it you play with it too much it will strip and render the reel useless.

#18 ·
A.> the captiva is a piece of s#@t!
B. spider "anything" sucks!
C. any other braid you use ie; power pro/fireline/etc. have 300 yd spools.
the 150 yd spool may fit that reel with backing but am sure most of the 300 yds of 30# will fit with like 10 yds of backing mono.
D. if it's too late to regroup and get a decent reel the thing to remember with that reel is not to lean on the handle while fighting a fish "it WILL break". set the drag at 17-20# and never touch the bail knob again as it you play with it too much it will strip and render the reel useless.
well thats what i get for asking a sales clerk what to buy >.> oh well live and learn i guess i should have known better just wish i found this site befor i bought it but ok ill see if i can return it and try to get a better setup was kinda limited to dicks sporting goods for a place to get one but so far im off to a great start woohoo

#20 ·
from a boat sure. from the beach with 30# braid? at least 75 to 100 yds (well, a good caster or fishing in the canal) are damn near out of the spool already. ya can get em to the boat fast freddy? hense the name.. lol. but considering what he bought i am 99% sure he's fishing from shore. i feel bad i said it was a piece of crap but it will do the job as long as the few corrupt mechanical issues are addressed and prevented from happening. that said, stick with power pro or fireline as spiderwire will not last long and it's abrasion resistence is third rate imo.

#21 ·
Well, the point I was making was more or less directed at his question: "How to spool braid?". I offered my method, which I think is the best way, and doesn't waste any expensive braid. If 150yds is not enough for the type of fishing then that's not my decision. I'm not familiar with that model reel. If I were to use a larger reel that might hold 300 yds or so, then I would go that route, but the method would still be the same.

Do I get 'em to the boat fast??? Sometimes. But unlike surf fishing, I have the option of chasing them down if I need to, and keeping the distance between me and the fish less than 450'.

#22 ·
Well, the point I was making was more or less directed at his question: "How to spool braid?". I offered my method, which I think is the best way, and doesn't waste any expensive braid.
150 yard spools are fine for many applications
300 yard spools are geared more to surf casting situations where you may be throwing 150 yards.

I agree with the way you spool, I do it almost the same way. The only difference is that I use empty line spools to remove the line

Quoted from an old post :

There's one sure way to get it right every time, but it's a royal PIA to do.

Use a small bit of tape to start the braid onto the spool and wind on the entire spool of braid, or, if it's a bulk spool, wind to the point where you'll need to attach the mono backing. Attach the mono that you'll be using for backing (I use 40#) and fill the spool to the top.

Slide a large empty plastic line spool onto a bolt and tighten it down with a nut. I keep a few empty spools just for this. If you don't have any go check with your local tackle shop, they often have a few lying around that they'll give you.

Put this onto a drill and spin all the line onto the spool

Get another spool, do the nut and bolt thing and spin the line off the first spool and onto the second - the mono backing should be on top now

Tie the mono backing onto the reel spool and wind it on be sure to keep a bit of pressure on, but not too much.

Perfect every time

#24 ·
you don't have to post this question multiple times....
i answered it in one of the other posts you made... i would delete this one but the big cheese got mad the last time i did that.. "oh wait" i can't delete things any more! some crybaby made sure of that:

#25 ·
babyhuey said:
"oh wait" i can't delete things any more! some crybaby made sure of that:
Giving you total delete privaledges would be like letting your kid play with matches and gas can. The big fat cheese told you that the entire thread was deleted not the post.
But [insert sigh here] Ill remedy that for you.
Now you may delete posts again Mr cwy baby

Edit** You can delete posts Paulie - all moderators can - I had the permissions set so that entire threads cant be deleted. Only supermods and admins can do that.

http://www.stripers247.com/phpBB2/showthread.php?t=16925

#26 ·
Giving you total delete privaledges would be like letting your kid play with matches and gas can. The big fat cheese told you that the entire thread was deleted not the post.
But [insert sigh here] Ill remedy that for you.
Now you may delete posts again Mr cwy baby

Edit** You can delete posts Paulie - all moderators can - I had the permissions set so that entire threads cant be deleted. Only supermods and admins can do that.

http://www.stripers247.com/phpBB2/showthread.php?t=16925
u guys bickering makes my day...Im LMFAO right now!!

#28 ·
Good post

Since I posted that Duolock bit I've also gone to the BreakAway clip.
The only time I use Duolocks now is when I'm throwing things like tins that the BreakAway won't fit on.

#30 ·
Good post

Since I posted that Duolock bit I've also gone to the BreakAway clip.
The only time I use Duolocks now is when I'm throwing things like tins that the BreakAway won't fit on.
Yeah same here, I have a few plugs that the Fastlinks won't work with. Most of them are popper type plugs, that have hollowed out noses if you know the type I speak off. Some of them I have installed a split ring on em so the clip will work.

#31 ·
Here is how I did it recently, and it has so far has worked great!
  • Get another empty spare reel of the same size or larger spool that has no line on it and attach it to the bottom piece of another spare rod.
  • Fill the spare spool/reel with your braid any which way you can, manually by hand, just reel it on loosely from the original packing, etc...
  • Once it is all on, add mono if using mono backing or tape to the reel you plan on putting it on.
  • Attach the end of the line from the spare reel to the reel you want the line on.
  • Set the drag on the spare reel to about 4lb.
  • Have someone hold the spare reel half piece rod, or wedge it between a fence post, anything to create a tension.
  • Reel it in from the reel you want the line on!
  • Ther tighter the spool on the spare, the tighter it will go onto the reel you want.
Just my 2c, any additions welcome. I must admit, it is much easier just to go to a bait shop though!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.