Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

The Dropper Loop for Tying on a teaser and hi Low rigs

35K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Striperjim 
#1 ·
The dropper loop is very usefull for tying hi low bottom rigs or
when game fish are feeding selectively on small bait, attach a small teaser fly, or other lure ahead of a larger, heavier spoon, jig or plug. The system has several advantages. One, the small lure can precisely imitate the size and shape of the natural bait. Two, the larger lure provides weight for casting distance and keeps the rig below the surface. Three, the rig presents the illusion of a medium-sized baitfish chasing an even smaller baitfish, which may draw attention to the rig or trigger a competitive feeding instinct in the game fish. A proper Dropper Loop should NOT be too long or it will twist and foul during the cast.

You can keep the loop intact or cut one "leg" of dropper loop and tie on teaser

Dropper loop​

See less See more
1 1
#2 ·
Surf rig or the Hi Lo Rig
A proper Dropper Loop should NOT be too long or it will twist and foul during the cast
This illustration shows two dropper loops tied to a length of mono with the pyramid weight ahead of the line.
40 pound seagar flourocarbon is a good idea when the fish are finicky.
Barrel swivel on one end to the standing line and snap swivel to the pyramid.
Overall the finished leader should be a couple of feet long.
If there is any movement in the knots, they will break so use a screw driver to slightly pull and seat the knot.

Bank sinkers are more aerodynamic and less snaggy for rocks while the pyramid is a good one for a sandy bottom

#4 ·
I use the rapala on the teasers and would snell the hooks to the hi lo rigs.
(I dont use the hi los much at all, I prefer one hook with a sinkerslide)
Some use a (homer Rhodes / loop knot ) to tie on teasers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.