Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

2012 fishing reports

148K views 581 replies 156 participants last post by  cNY0 
#1 ·
Post your reports here . Use general location information to not kill your spot. Also try to upload pictures if you have them . Everyone wants to SEE fish .
Pictures good , spot burning bad.

#6 ·
I fished off the docks and rocks around Cold Spring monday from before dawn until almost slack high tide, alternating between berkely gulp sandworms, gulp bloodworms, and wood plugs. I saw quite a few herring but had no bass bite or follow. I may try some late night fishing with herring later this week.

#15 ·
no stripers today....also went for herring. had no followers on spinner bait. think water is to cold now for some herring from shore in Cornwall?
angle, I'm in Cornwall also, I will be down the park trying for herring then going to cast my surf pole with some chunk bait for some striped ones, hey ya never know !!!

#27 ·
A little tip I learned last year: If your using a sabiki with "wings/feathers/tassels" on the hooks CUT THEM OFF or just as short as you can get them. I watched everyone around me come go and slam herring for hours wondering what I was doing wrong even thought to the naked eye it looked as if I was doing the same. Lucky for me one of the boats in my location noticed I wasnt doing so well and gave me that advice. After cutting them off I had my livewell filled in mins. Im 26 and have been doing this on my own for 12 years now but still learn something new each season. Hope this helps you or someone out there. Tight lines! :icon_salute2:

#25 ·
Fished the outgoing tide yesterday in the Coeymans/Castleton section of the river. Anchored up on the channel edges and fished with fresh chunk herrink that were caught out of the Postenkill. Fished till 1230 and ended up with 9 cats, i did have one monster run that had the bait runner screaming and the rod bent right over but what ever dropped up soon after. Water i thought was a little dark and the water temp was 50.2. Still alot of debris in the river so please use caution as some of the logs i seen today were 20+ ft long (whole trees). Either way i think its still early but it was nice to be out on the boat and giving her a good run to make sure everything works on the boat. As i was leaving they had a crew working on the second set of docks and they said they were trying to get them in by the end of the day.

From here on out i plan on hitting the river every Wednesday and Thursday and every other chance i get. Hopefully i will get back into better numbers after last years mess lol. Tight lines guys

#26 ·
fished the past few afternoons at the bottom of the ebb and start of the flood... nothing to write home about but I havent gotten skunked! Few short fish here and there with a keeper mixed in but nothing really picture worthy... the perch are in full force and making it expensive! Im hoping to head up north this weekend and see if i cant figure out this herring deal and get some "free" bait to soak... tight lines!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.