Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Not so Fast....

181 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  AdminVS 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)

by Capt. Steve Byrne

It's funny how 40 degrees in December seems warm, but the same 40 degrees in April feels cold. I think it's because those 40-degree days in December are the last of the fishing season for most of us. Knowing you have a few days left to the fishing season makes the cold seem not as cold. We're willing to put up with more discomfort.

The beginning of the year, naturally, is the opposite. Sure, I can't wait to start fishing again, but when it's 38 degrees and I know there's a bunch of warm fishing days ahead….well, that 38 degrees feels a lot colder.

I waited until 9AM before going to the boat, so it was up around 45 degrees – definitely an improvement over 38. The short story is that I caught no fish.

Bunker were there, but they were scattered and in small pods. I spent the first half hour throwing soft plastic in some shallow water; no swings, hits or misses. Then I checked out the bunker situation. Like I said, the pods were small so I was only able to net a few. I chunked for an hour and a half and did not get a bump.

On the positive side the boat ran well, bunker and bass are here and the water temperature was 51.2 degrees. It's possible that the last two days of clouds, cooler temperatures and light rain have made the fish that are here, more lethargic than they were last week.

I hoped to follow the chunks picture with a nice shot of a striper....

It's just a matter of time.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.